Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

12X in a pen??? YES

Well I really want that 445nm laser diode on ebay but I don't want to dip into my bank accounts to get it. I think I am going to sell this laser to help fund the purchase. I will only sell this laser to a member who is experienced with lasers and will respect the power and limited duty cycle on this laser. Either that or I will turn the laser down to 400mW before I sell it. I am not factoring the host into the cost of this build as it was left over parts from a dead green laser this will lower the cost of this build a lot. I am asking $295 for this laser shipped...hopefully for a quick sale.

It was dusk. The photos enhance the beam. It does have a visible beam, just not as bright as the photos suggest.

i figured it wasn't daylight, but long exposure with your hand like that with no bluryness? I'm curious as to how you did that

So I tried a couple of minute long runs with this laser at it's previous power of 590mW but after the 30 second point the laser did start to drop in power. At 45 seconds the power started to drop much quicker. I shut the laser off after that. I opened her up and reduced the power to 493mW. Now at this power I can go for a full minute with the power peaking at 493mW all the way in at 35 seconds and then dropping slightly in power to 480mW by the end of the full minute. After a short 30 second duty cycle the power is right back up to 493mW. I think this is a much better power setting for this laser. It seems to be responding much better top to the minute long duty cycle (which I will not be using)

ReNNo

Ahhh...
That diode deserves big heatsink and 18350/18650 batteries.
When I see that diode in this host it's like watching horror movies.

I really don't see anything positive by using this diode in pen host.

I have LOC @410mA in pen host and it gets hot in matter of seconds.
But that is cheap diode and I'm not going to piss blood when it dies.

ReNNo

Slim yes, but very long host that doesn't fit in pocket.

I would rather choose UF WF-501B (or similar) host with enough big heatsink and 2x18350 batteries than slim but very long pen host with bad heatsinking ability and batteries that are junk.

I'm person who looks for balance between size and functionality.
I'm looking for hosts that will provide good cooling, enough space for driver and enough space for powerful batteries and that size is not too big.

For that purpose all these cheap 18650 hosts are great.
Pen host only gives you slim shape , nothing else.

I'm not going to say that pen hosts are not good, but they are not good for HP diodes.

I totally agree with you. I have my 12X ehgemus build that the diode is pressed directly into the host. The heatsinking is great. It is no longer than this pen and it runs on 2 CR123A recharegables. For my extra small 12X I have a Chrome pocket mini (currently in the process of receiving a new diode). I know this pen host is probably the least ideal for a 12X but it sure is slim and packs a punch! If I had to grab a violet laser on the way out of the house this adimitable would probably be my last choice.