Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

12X BR Laser in Airsoft Gun Host

I had a crappy airsoft gun sitting around collecting dust, so I thought to myself, "I wonder if I can turn this into an awesome laser rifle?" Turns out with a 12X Blu-Ray laser diode and a simple LM317 driver, I could.

I gutted the airsoft gun of pretty much everything except for the trigger. This gave me a lot of space to work with, when I was finished I had plenty of extra room. Here is the finished host.

lasergunhost.JPG

I have the LM317 set to 500mA and I'm using an AixiZ AR coated glass lens. I don't have a laser power meter so I don't know the exact output, but IIRC it should be 600mW-700mW. As far as heatsinking goes, all I got is the AixiZ module. That means I'm running very short duty cycles.

Here is the laser fluorescing off of some paper:

lasergun.JPG

So yeah, it's just another 12X build. But it's in a friggen gun host that activates when the trigger is pulled!

Here is the YouTube video I made for it. I love the distance I can pull of burning tricks with high powered blu-rays.

Here is the article Hack A Day wrote about this project: Making Airsoft guns far more potent - Hack a Day

Ubergizmo wrote one too: Airsoft gun converted to shoot lasers | Ubergizmo

The trigger is just a plastic lever so I pulled out the original internal mechanism and glued a momentary switch in place. It is fixed in there so that the trigger presses down the switch when pulled.

Very nice build Styro! Looks like it will hold a lot of batteries? :)

Thats awesome Styro
Wander if my brother will let me borrow one of his guns :whistle:

sorry but this is just stupid :)
I'm just trying to make a change up from the typical laser in a flashlight host.

Very nice build Styro! Looks like it will hold a lot of batteries? :)
Surprisingly it doesn't. There was a lot of space in the magazine, but I could only fit one 9V battery in there because of its design. Talk about horrible battery life. :D

I put together a similar airsoft build from the following parts. It required no real technical effort, and not very much time. With the scope I can easily view the dot on the chimney of a house in my neighborhood a little over a block away - but I can see the laser dot clearly at that distance even without the scope. I just wish I had a clear view from my home of the water tower located a mile or so away to test my ability to accurately place the dot at that distance using the scope reticle. However, I do not wish to be witnessed pointing a laser modified airsoft gun in public, and I would highly recommend against anyone else doing so either.
Very cool design with the scope!