Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

12-21-2012 ending of mayan calendar

I'm curious, what are your thoughts, fears or hopes?

Dont think i hate humans. I just dont like them very much. In fact are we unbelivable stupid creatures. I hope nature is kiking us from this Beautiful Planet. We defenetly made the proof we dont deserve to stay. In my eyes, project humen failed.
Dont think i walk pessimistic thru life. This is just something i see as a given fact.
EDIT: just wanna make clear, i'm really not one of this "tomorrow the earth will end" People.

Last edited:

Deep down, I kind of feel as you do.

Humans are the WORST thing that has happened to this planet.

BUT... that is no reason to be pessimistic, or rude, or negative, or to be a criminal, or to spread dissension and discontent.

We could do far worse than to help each other, and to help stray cats... if you take my meaning. There is NO HARM in being positive and in simply doing what you CAN.

Fenzir

Humans invented the mayan calender, so if we're stupid, it will be wrong.

Also, world can't end, my yogurt expires in 2013

I hope no one here is taking that "end of the world" sh:)t seriously. We're smarter than that.

daguin

Sooooooo . . . . Do you think that we should party like it was 2011?

Peace,
dave

I hope no one here is taking that "end of the world" sh:)t seriously. We're smarter than that.

Dont get me wrong. To know Nature is stronger then us is making me happy. Nature never ends. And if we humens are not here anymore its defenetly not "the end of the world". It dosen't have to be December 2012 but some Day.

Humans invented the mayan calender, so if we're stupid, it will be wrong.

Also, world can't end, my yogurt expires in 2013

Haha, good point ! You can stay.

Last edited:

ARG

Wasn't the rapture supposed to happen a while ago? Wasn't the world supposed to end in the year 2000? Nothing will happen, as always.

daguin

Wasn't the rapture supposed to happen a while ago? Wasn't the world supposed to end in the year 2000? Nothing will happen, as always.

God changed his mind. It's going to happen in October now.

Peace,
dave

The fact that some ancient calendar happens to end on that date means apsolutely nothing.

However, I've been thinking the other day. Even though nothing supernatural will actually happen (or so I hope), I was thinking this way:
People will wake up on 22nd Dec 2012 and feel stupid,
Then I figured,
Nobody is going to bed like "Meh, end of the world, bed time now"

We all know there's stupid people out there. Somebody somewhere is going to get up and f:)ck some sh:)t up. How many people, not sure. But I'm pretty sure that, because of all the hype this has gotten, it cannot be very far from "self-fullfilling prophecy" type of thing.

Where prediction of event will lead to the event itself, and if nobody made the prediction nothing would happen.

I vaguely recall that the Maya calendar simply flips over & starts again.
Wikipedia seems to think it just changes to the next B'ak'tun count.

Not gonna worry about it. End or no End, is there anything one can do to stop it? Repent? If it takes the End of the world for you to do it... You have already failed. :D
Just have a cool drink & get a good seat. :beer:

Last edited:

Trevor

This is all off the top of my head, but...

There's a hypothesis floating (I forget where I read this) around that there was a mini ice age at about the time when the previous long count calendar should have ended (said ice age crops up in the records of more than just the Mayan civilization). The Mayans believed that the world was on a cycle of destruction and creation - so they expected a cataclysmic event at the end of each long count. So... cue the freeze.

Now, if I were a Mayan and something like that happened, I would probably be like "OMG, THAT MUST BE THE END OF A LONG COUNT!" So, the new long count would begin with me secure in my knowledge that the timing was now correct.

Looking at geological records, there are several volcanoes worldwide that erupted at about the right time to cause that mini ice age (particulates in the atmosphere) - perhaps coupled with a nontrivial meteor impact, a brief global climatic shift would be well within the realm of possibility.

Quite interesting from a historical perspective. From a scientific perspective, I just marvel at the incredible coincidence. :p

-Trevor

Don't get to much hooked on that 22nd Dec 2012. Try to see it in a bigger context. I mean, we just can not keep growing as we do at the moment. Where would the food come from. I mean is obvious Nature will help her self some day. Has to.

Attachments

• wachstum.JPG
    wachstum.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 1,230
Last edited: