Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

-

kecked

Tape. Safe cheap. Removable. Sorry I can’t answer the main question directly. How about reflections from stuff being moved around, someone looking into it, flashblinding a forklift operator, etc…likely safe but why add the liability when tape is cheap. They even have glow in the dark tape.

yes I am aware he didn’t ask about tape.

Id have a licensed laser safety officer measure the installed exposure level. It’s likely safe but who knows unless it’s measured.

quickly figure 350mw spread over the area of the line. Is it compliant? That’s a rough idea.

what 0.037mw/cm2. 60’x2” wide.

nohd is I think 2.5mw/cm2 but that’s a beam so?..

Last edited:

wisn

For the tape - we've already tried that in the past. The issue is the concrete floor is saturated with oil from the large press dies, so nothing ends up sticking to it. When painting, we also grind down the floors and apply traffic paint (the same stuff you'd get for parking lots), but that also ends up fading away in less than 2 weeks. So we've been looking at other options like these projectors here.

I've just started working with our laser safety officer on this, and trying to find the best way to ensure their safety. He's mostly focused on the metal laser cutters (with lasers enclosed and behind guards), so these are unfamiliar territory. Especially since many of the calculations he's used in the past only consider raw diode energy output, not the output past the lenses and at a distance after that. It also leads to exposure, whereas the other lasers are behind closed guarding - inaccessible to the operator. So this will probably take a little more work to figure it out.

Either way, thanks for the response! Your help is appreciated in guiding us closer to a solution.

Haven't checked the math done by kecked but it seems about right.
The power density at eye level will be a bit higher but even at 10x that power, it will still be below 1 mW/cm^2.
So long as everyone is briefed on the dangers of lasers and can avoid direct exposure, it'll be fine.
I'd imagine in a professional workplace full of hazards (like a warehouse) it shouldn't be too much to expect that nobody will purposely stare into the beam for prolonged periods.

kecked

Yea don’t take my numbers as gospel. All I did was say what’s the energy on the floor. Hey how about this. More work but should be forever fix. Trench 1/4 down in the concrete. Lay in a strip of leds. Pour in clear epoxy. Should stay put. Could use different colors as alert when an operator is nearby. Best luck.