Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1064 mm 1.5 watt PL-E Pro DPSS safety and availability

Davidddd

I plan to buy a PL-E Pro DPSS 1064 nm 1.5 watts with x10 beam expander, my primary concern is, is jetlasers a reliable place for power requirements and delivery to Asian countries like India?

Also what is the minimum nohd and skin burn hazard or permanent blindness hazard distance should I be taking absolute preventive measurement for?

Divergence is around 2mrad
At aperture beam diameter is around 1mm

Eagerly waiting for an expert to reply, I found your forum stated that jetlasers is a supposedly reliable place to buy, but I don't know whether they deliver to India, I would be purchasing it on behalf of my company.

Jetlasers make good stuff and are reliable yes. I've no idea about them servicing India, but they're a chinese company. You should ask them that directly.

The main hazard with such a powerful invisible laser (1064nm is well into the infra-red) is how the damage will be done to your eyesight long before you know about it. You should absolutely under no circumstances operate an IR laser without quality laser-safety goggles rated for the wavelength you wish to purchase.

Can I ask why you might need a 1064nm laser and what you're using it for? If you're buying it for your company (presumably to, why do you need a handheld - Bolted down "lab" style lasers are inherently safer as it's much harder to accidentally point them at a mirrored surface or glass window etc.

According to this calculator, the NOHD distance for that laser is 136 metres without the beam expander. You'd have to measure/calculate the beam diameter and new divergence number after the BE if you wanted to know the NOHD with it.

I would not operate this laser without goggles even at this distance though, as it's an invisible beam - which greatly increases the danger.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Agreed with the above.
Immo, if the input beam is 1mm@2mRad, the exit beam will be 10mm@0.2mRad with a 10x expander. This shoots the NOHD to 1320m. That would be incredibly dangerous at that wavelength especially. As you wouldn’t see it to control it. And no one will see it coming unless viewing through ir equipment.
Depending on the individual, the dot of this laser would be either totally invisible or the very dimmest of dull red in colour.

Thanks Curtis - I didn't know whether it was valid to use the x10 of the beam expander to simply divide the Divergence or not. Thanks for the clarification! Definitely agreed that the expanded beam of that would be terrifying...

I've been eyeing that particular pointer for over two years now, want one too, but instead of needing a beam expander, I'd like to focus the beam down to a point and see what it can do to a KTP SHG crystal. Since it would not be intra-cavity, it probably won't produce much green at all, but I'd like to see. Some nut crackers are using IR lasers to point at "UFO's" to signal them :p - If an aircraft is far enough away, it won't get them put in jail, unless a police helicopter with a camera which can see infrared and they assume someone was trying to flood their camera.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Curtis - I didn't know whether it was valid to use the x10 of the beam expander to simply divide the Divergence or not. Thanks for the clarification! Definitely agreed that the expanded beam of that would be terrifying...
No problem Immo. :)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Got to be at least a 4W 808 I would imagine accounting for single pass efficiency.

So it's an 808nm LD pumping a SHG crystal rather than a 1064nm LD ?

I was thinking maybe a 1064 LD possibly c-mount with a FAC that's why I was curious about the diode and it's specs to be able to collimate a half way decent beam with likely a single lens.

---edit---

Ok looking at their site it says DPSS and near Tem00 with 2 mrad, I should have just looked at the site to start, was hoping for a nice single mode 1064nm LD or a multi mode with decent beam specs but have not found any single mode 1064nm at 1.5w only 500mw

I admit I only glanced at the thread, 1mm at aperture and 2mrad is not bad.

Anyone know of any single mode laser diode visible or not stronger than the BDR-209 ?

---edit---

I went looking for the highest single mode output and again ended up reading about active fiber lasers, check out this number and imagine the beam.....

Funded by the German government and in collaboration with TRUMPF (Ditzingen, Germany), Active Fiber Systems, Jenoptik, and the Leibniz Institute of Photonic Technology, a team of scientists from Friedrich Schiller University and the Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Optics and Precision Engineering (all in Jena, Germany) analyzed the challenges for upscaling such lasers and then developed new fibers to overcome the limitations. The team successfully completed a series of tests showing 4.3 kW single-mode output, in which the fiber laser output was limited only by the input pump power.

Last edited:

Davidddd

Jetlasers make good stuff and are reliable yes. I've no idea about them servicing India, but they're a chinese company. You should ask them that directly.

The main hazard with such a powerful invisible laser (1064nm is well into the infra-red) is how the damage will be done to your eyesight long before you know about it. You should absolutely under no circumstances operate an IR laser without quality laser-safety goggles rated for the wavelength you wish to purchase.

Can I ask why you might need a 1064nm laser and what you're using it for? If you're buying it for your company (presumably to, why do you need a handheld - Bolted down "lab" style lasers are inherently safer as it's much harder to accidentally point them at a mirrored surface or glass window etc.

According to this calculator, the NOHD distance for that laser is 136 metres without the beam expander. You'd have to measure/calculate the beam diameter and new divergence number after the BE if you wanted to know the NOHD with it.

I would not operate this laser without goggles even at this distance though, as it's an invisible beam - which greatly increases the danger.
It is more portable in test fields, and cheaper than most of those ac feeding lasers, we plan to use od4+ to od7+ as safety gear, would a ce certified goggle be enough or there needs to be some further sort of certification for the glasses, also can you estimate about the permanent blindness range so the field setup can be done accordingly, as for the purpose it is mostly out of scope, all I can tell is our company intends to put this laser in some industrial grade security system, which is mostly user replaceable and mountable and comes cheap, of course after many changes in the laser, receiver, mounting, housing etc... For the prototype we have decided to give this laser a shot as it's a DPSS and if it passes then we plan to go forward using some core parts of it.

Last edited:
Yes this is a DPSS with no SHG crystal.

Yes I meant NDYVO4 I was really tired yesterday and didn't even read the thread, my bad.
I do wonder if the beam would really be the same divergence as a typical 532 ?
I know it would depend also on the lens pair used after the crystal, but 1mm at the aperture and 2mrad sounds pretty good, also a real eye hazard but that's nothing new for us. Safety first. :)

Thinking about Jets 800mw 532nm, it would have at least a 4W 808nm pump and 3w of 1064nm after the NDYVO4 and before the KTP so I assume this 1.5w is probably their 300mw - 400mw green front end as NDYVO4 in this case is something like 80% and KTP is 20 - 25% typically IINM.............it's possible that the higher power set could have meant a wider beam at the aperture so now I wonder if the 800mw 532nm has the same beam dia. as the 300 and/or 400mw 532nm units.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
All solid states are their own laser, as the input beam is merely the pump source. Nd:YVO4 and Nd:YAG alike produce their own emission independent of the pump characteristics. So it is possible to get a clean output like that, as KTP itself doesn't improve the input beams specs. It just has to be recollimated.
Had a feeling you didn't mean SHG, as you are more knowledgeable than that.

I asked Gray at JL if they might have a 2 watt 1064 nm DPSS pointer, since early on they were advertising it as coming. Never did though, the highest power they show is 1.5 watts. This last time I asked a couple weeks ago, I received a response they would get back with me, but this is the third time I've asked over the last two or three years, still waiting.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It could be possible to make your own if you don't get a response. A 5W 808 diode driven slightly past factory specs and sufficiently cooled could bring the conversion to past 2W if you are lucky on system efficiency.

I have a nice YVO4 rod, a couple of them and a high power 808 nm C-Mount diode rated at 16 watts CW output with FAC lens, if they don't, I will. Only thing is, those high power C-Mounts don't have the best beam characteristics, perhaps that won't matter for a YVO4, I mean, not like a SHG crystal needs for a tight beam focused to a very small spot.