Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

100mW PHR-803T in a Black Cree C3 Host with Extension Tube Budget Build.!

Bixler

Patients is the key with lasers.;) If you rush your work you are most likely going to damage something or make a mistake.

But i do understand being Inpatients when waiting to get something in the mail. Just make sure when you do get the parts you take it step by step so you will have a working laser at the end.:beer:

Oh. Ill have no problem with that.. The impatient's I have will get out weighed by my cheapness. Buying a new set of components will be entirely out of the question so I will def be taking my time.. Though waiting on something in the mail is an entirely different story.. I think ill start running an meet the package half way! Actually now that I think about it thats prob a bad idea :undecided:. I also purchased a blu-ray-red test load online for like 10 bucks, that seems like much less trouble than constructing my own although I have read its great soldering practice but for some reason I'd rather just buy one.

Last edited:

Ezcal

Hah, woops... I was having some issues soldering things to the driver, and got a little too heavy-handed. Broke a piece right off the board, and I've now ordered another flashlight.

So yeah, guess I have a few more days to play with my 100mW greenie :)

Well my crap from DX showed up after almost 6 weeks. Looks like they sent me a dead used flashlight. It won't light and I can see marks on the bottom of the driver board where a battery had been. Looks like someone did some soldering as well. I'm mildly pissed to be honest because in the 6 weeks it's taken to get here I've built three other lasers and was just going to keep this as a little flashlight. Guess I'll be building another laser after all. At least shipping was fast. Left Hong Kong on 11/17 and arrived today so it only took 5 days.

Sorry for the double post but I found out that it wasn't dead - the switch just sucks. I tested the light by making a jumper from the battery to case and it lit up fine. After poking around on the DX forums I followed the directions on this site "Cinturon Do Grelo: How To Fix UltraFire C3 Tailcap" on how to open the switch pill and fix the problem with one slight modification. After fighting with pieces of foil for 5 minutes I had the idea to use a piece of solder instead. I ended up making a square that fit inside the diameter of the black ring but made sure the corners were touching the pill. after reassembling the switch pill it works perfectly. A piece of coper wire would have probably been better but I was too lazy to go find, cut, and strip a piece. It's simple fix if your light doesn't work but it should just work out of the box.

LtKernelPanic ^^ Great you got your light working. Too Bad your not going to turn it into a laser.:na:

Hah, woops... I was having some issues soldering things to the driver, and got a little too heavy-handed. Broke a piece right off the board, and I've now ordered another flashlight.

So yeah, guess I have a few more days to play with my 100mW greenie :)

:tinfoil:Hey How bad did you break it. Post a Picture.:) Might be able to save it.

Let me take a look at it.:D

Last edited:

Ezcal

LtKernelPanic ^^ Great you got your light working. Too Bad your not going to turn it into a laser.:na:

:tinfoil:Hey How bad did you break it. Post a Picture.:) Might be able to save it.

Let me take a look at it.:D

I appreciate it, but the soldering point where the + wire goes completely snapped off. :) I plan to be a bit more careful next time...

I appreciate it, but the soldering point where the + wire goes completely snapped off. :) I plan to be a bit more careful next time...

That is OK.:) Your in Luck You can do 2 this.

1. There is other + points on the board. Run a battery through the driver and take you DMM Prongs put one on the Negative terminal on the board nd poke touch a couple of pads until you see your DMM Read the out put of your battery then you have found another + Point of the driver.

Ezcal

New flashlight came today, along with the batteries and a charger.

Managed to cram everything in there, even if I didn't need the center hole:

dscn1274o.jpg

dscn1275n.jpg

You can't really tell, but I made the hole a tiny bit too large... Am I okay just globbing a bunch of solder in there to hold it in place, or will it get too warm and melt the solder while I'm lasing?
dscn1276d.jpg

Last edited:
Great to see you almost got yours done.:) How Loose is it.? Does is slide in and out on its own.? Do not put solder in there you will end up Burning the diode before you even use it. Do you have any arctic silver adhesive.?:D

Also Your Reflector looks different then mine.? Did you order the same light.? From the same company because i know the one i linked to will have the same reflector as mine.? How did you get the replacement so fast.:)

Ezcal

Both the flashlights I ordered (the first from DX, the second from someone on Amazon), have the same reflectors, both are different than yours. I'm not sure they'll work as well for heatsinking duty, but I'm not planning on any super long duty cycles.

I got the replacement quickly because the other seller was located in California, and I'm in Oregon. :)

It slides out by itself, yes :( I guess I'll need to drill out the other reflector then? I'll be a little less heavy-handed with the RotoZip this time.

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to squeeze the narrow end of the reflector in a vise, and see if that will work...

Last edited:
Wow. I literally just got one in last week with the same reflector as in my Pictures. I was going to make another one for a red laser, But my Sister came down for thanksgiving and i gave it to here for her night walks from class at school.

I know there is 2 kind of reflectors that come with this light and the one you got is one of them. But in the hole time Ive order 3x this light over 1 and 1/2 years and from the same link as i posted and they have all been the same.:thinking:.

I do not think it will effect the heatsink capability as long as the Aixiz module is a snug fit. Enough that when you turn to focus it it does not turn.

Make the New Hole smaller and press the axiz module into the reflector. You should not be able to press it in by hand. Id you do then its to loose.

Did you do a Dry fit first to make sure that it will fit properly with this different reflector.?

Edit:
Are you sure you dint order this one.? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4452

Last edited:

Ezcal

That's weird... Yes, I ordered the flashlight and the extension separately, like you did.

I just did a dry fit... Looking like there's going to be too much room between the pill and the front of the host for the reflector to be snug, thanks to the shape of the reflector.

Hypothetically, if I soldered the driver to the diode, then the reflector to the pill, wouldn't that work? I'll be careful to barely touch the iron to either piece. Just long enough to get the solder on. What do you think?

There is no need to connect the pill and the reflector. If you have the + wire running to the LM then to the + of the stock driver and then you have the diode - running to the pill to make contact to the body that is ll you need.

When you did the dry fit was everything a nice tight fit. In other words there is no play room "NO Gap" in between the front of the host and the reflect when you have the pill screwer in. Make sure to know that the reflector cannot screw in all the way it has to be exactly where it was before you modded the light so it can make contact with the center piece of the host.

Those 2 solder tabs on either side of the positive point on the stock driver has to make contact with the aluminum part on the body end that srews in on that side.

Let me know if it does not fit right and it to loose, that i have a feeling it is.

This is so weired that you got a different reflect in mater of week difference and i have order all mine from the same link over long period of time and yours comes diffrent.

If you read post #18 i say something similair to when he found a better deal on DX site for the same setup.

Ezcal

Yeah, it's definitely too loose. I'm thinking if I solder these together and screw the pill in to the normal spot, it'll give the reflector stability, and then it won't be moving all over.