Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

100mW O-Like Green ‘Cute’ Laser w/ Pics!

I have to tell you that this is my green laser; therefore my review will not be able to contain comparisons with other lasers. So here we go! :evil:

Here's a link to the laser: New cute pocket Green laser 100mW /adjustable [OLCGL100] - $71.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Shipping: I talked to Susie and asked her to ship me the laser, one cr123a battery charger, and safety glasses on July, 19th. On the day that she was about to ship it, (23nd) I told Susie that she did not have to ship batteries with the laser because I had previously bought one from BatteryJunction. Then, Susie, being the kind lady that she is, offered me a laser guaranteed at 110mW but with one extra waiting day until the new stock arrived to her. I accepted and she then shipped the laser on Saturday afternoon (25th) and it arrived here at my doorstep today (28th). Three days of shipping time is amazing, IMHO!

Packaging: The laser and all the other things arrived wrapped in bubbles, in a small 7x4x5in. box, and in a huge bag (for the size of the box). All the items were well packaged and did not move around. Also, the laser itself came in an anti-static bag.
3157-100-3295.jpg

First Impression: When I was looking through O-like’s website I looked at all the pictures they had available for the host, and it appeared to me as if the laser was about the length of a Sharpie marker, and the width of about a quarter, but when I unpackaged it I was surprised at how small it is! Of course, that is a good thing as it perfectly fits in the pockets of all my shorts/pants. The laser is extremely solid and the threads for the battery cap is PERFECT. The laser also has a stylish, sleek design. However, I would say the focusing ring is a bit loose though I don’t mind it too much. The charger feels of mediocre quality, not too high not too low. The safety glasses are the new style that O-like now has, and does not have a lense reaching out over the side of your eyes, but instead it has a simple black panel.
3159-100-3297.jpg

3158-100-3296.jpg

Beam & Dot: When I see the beam I see that it is extremely THIN, about 1mm at the aperture, and it is very visible indoors during the day, and I have yet to try it outside at night. :D There is one thing that I am not too sure if it is normal or not, (I’m guessing not) but when I unfocus the laser completely, the dot does not appear round, but rather ‘square’. It may be mode-hopping, but it’s definitely not two dots or an elliptical shape; just a square. (Not rectangle either) :undecided:
3168-100-3312.jpg

You can't really tell it's square in the picture.
3167-100-3324.jpg

Burning Capabilities: I have already tried to light a match and it does take about 2-3 seconds with red matches, and it is instant when they have a black dot on them. The laser is capable of etching leather, dark plastic, and deeply engrave black foam. I have not yet tried to cut electrical tape; mostly because I’m too lazy to wait for it to cut. :yabbem:

Divergence:
I calculated the divergence at 60ft. to be 1.48mRad, which in my opinion is pretty good, though I believe I can get a better divergence with more precise focusing. I have to also calculate it at maybe 100yds.

Polarity Protection:
I had a close call when I was replacing the battery after it had been charged. I didn't really watch at the way I inserted it, but instead just guessed by feeling with my fingers when both of the battery's poles feel pretty much the same (flat). I then proceeded to turning on the laser when I see that there is no light being emitted. My first though was 'CRAP!', and my heart started to pound as I took off the battery cap to find that I had inserted the battery backwards. :cryyy: I was already mourning the loss of my newly bought laser, but I then tried to see if maybe the laser had polarity protection, and there it was, a beautiful green dot. ;)
(This should mean it does have polarity protection)

Pros: :)
• Superfast shipping
• Amazing customer support. (Quote from Susie – “I am happy if you are happy”)
• Sturdy and sleek design
• Very bright and powerful beam
• Fits very well in any pocket
• Has reverse polarity protection. :oops:

Cons: :(
• Focusing ring is a bit loose
• Dot is square (?)
Dies within half an hour of total use.
• Lens is impossible to clean with a squeeze bulb, Lenspen, or any other method.

Other Information:
  • Recommended duty cycle is 50 seconds on/30 seconds off.
  • Tail cap has a nice 'click' to it.
  • Lense gets dirty often. (May be high humidity.)

Some Beamshots:
3161-100-3311.jpg

That was a snow globe.
3166-100-3320.jpg

3164-100-3375.jpg

3163-100-3374.jpg

3162-100-3368.jpg

I'm horrible with this beamshot thing.

Burning Video:

Last edited:

Re: Review of My New 100mW O-Like Green ‘Cute’ Laser

Nice review! How're those goggles? are they giant, or about the size of some aviator-style sunglasses? Always been curious...

very nice review, well done!

burning videos??

stuart :)

Asa

Nice review! Link is broken though, try shortening it too! +rep
Really happy seeing how fast yours was shipped! They shipped my laser yesterday, and if I end up getting it that fast, I'll be extremely pleased.

Nice review! How're those goggles? are they giant, or about the size of some aviator-style sunglasses? Always been curious...
:thanks: The glasses aren't big; I would wear them around if they did not have the red filter.

very nice review, well done!

burning videos??

stuart :)

I really want to make a burning video, but my camera only sees a huge green orb, and it's sometimes hard to see what I'm burning, let alone see the smoke. :(
Nice review! Link is broken though, try shortening it too! +rep
Really happy seeing how fast yours was shipped! They shipped my laser yesterday, and if I end up getting it that fast, I'll be extremely pleased.

:thanks:

Ash

I was wondering if this laser is waterproof (or water resistant) at all. It looks similar to the rayfoss w/proof style host, and was just wondering if it has 0-rings at the threads for water resistance?

Thank you for the Review,
I have ordered the exact same Laser.
Unfortunately the Postal Systems have dropped the ball on this one.
but I wont hijack your thread, I'll start my own.

I was wondering if this laser is waterproof (or water resistant) at all. It looks similar to the rayfoss w/proof style host, and was just wondering if it has 0-rings at the threads for water resistance?

I don't believe so. The laser is also not advertised as waterproof, but you could make it water proof with a simple o-ring in the tail cap and covering the aperture with a piece of clear glass, plastic, etc. The tail cap button itself is waterproof.

Ash

I don't believe so. The laser is also not advertised as waterproof, but you could make it water proof with a simple o-ring in the tail cap and covering the aperture with a piece of clear glass, plastic, etc. The tail cap button itself is waterproof.
Thanks. :)

DrSid

Pictures are gone .. what happened ?

Why haven't you changed your signature?

The flx from rayfoss:
www.rayfoss.com

You can close the aperture to protect it from dirt, scratches, monkeys, etc...

The flx from rayfoss:
www.rayfoss.com

You can close the aperture to protect it from dirt, scratches, monkeys, etc...

Ohhh, the FLX! I read it as 'Fix'. :yabbem: I was actually looking to buy that one, but I then read a few bad reviews about Rayfoss which scared me away from it. I would have loved the safety features, in my opinion it adds a more serious 'THIS IS NOT A TOY' kind of look.

CDHDC

Great review, but I cannot get any of the links to open, either. Nice job.

Exerd

If you want to document the beam shape, I can give you a tip that will help us see the true shape.

Place a piece of paper at 50 yards with a 2x2" square drawn on it. Place a video camera near the paper and start it recording. Walk away 50 yards, or some far distance that has been measured and not guessed. Start shining the laser at the paper carefully while resting it. Now take your video to your computer and step through it frame-by-frame, until you find a frame where the dot is within the square you drew, so you can visually measure it approximately. Post that screenshot for a true beam shape.

Close up blooms just won't show a beam's shape.