Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

100mW Laser, what precautions should I have?

FelipeTGear

So I bought a pretty cool laser from amazon the other day, it is a 100mW, 532nm. And I was playing around with it carefully, trying to not get it into anyone’s eyes, but I am kind of concerned about if the laser can cause eye damage if you look at the laser spot reflecting from a wall or a white paper, If yes I will just use it in the night outside pointing at the sky.

Giannis_TDM

So I bought a pretty cool laser from amazon the other day, it is a 100mW, 532nm. And I was playing around with it carefully, trying to not get it into anyone’s eyes, but I am kind of concerned about if the laser can cause eye damage if you look at the laser spot reflecting from a wall or a white paper, If yes I will just use it in the night outside pointing at the sky.
Hey there, so if it is 100mw It cannot cause damage by looking at the spot. To cause such damage it must be 500mw and up.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
The laser can most definitely cause eye damage. It is a Class 3B/IIIb meaning it exceeds 5mW but under 500mW. Looking at the spot is unlikely to cause eye damage, however it can cause discomfort and eye strain in some. It is not healthy to observe intense light for periods of time. Also some materials are reflective which is hazardous in itself. Reflections can redirect more photons into your eye. Trying not to get it into peoples eyes needs to be worded as must not get it in peoples eyes. Best case scenario is temporary damage, eye spots etc. Worst case, long term vision impairment. We are not medical professionals so can't give more than that.

Night pointing has its own risks that you need to be aware of. Air traffic must not be on the receiving end of your laser. In fact no vehicle or person should be. It is an offence to shine a laser in this way. Lasers are fascinating to observe. If you must shine a laser into the night sky. Be very vigilant. Check for air traffic and avoid public spaces. If you are near a airport best not to shine the laser into the sky at anytime. Avoid erratic motions, this decreases the chance of accidental laser strikes. Keep sky-pointing times down to a minimum. The less time in the sky, the less time you have of hitting anything. Also never let a friend use your laser without first demonstrating sensibility and responsibility.

Giannis_TDM

The laser can most definitely cause eye damage. It is a Class 3B/IIIb meaning it exceeds 5mW but under 500mW. Looking at the spot is unlikely to cause eye damage, however it can cause discomfort and eye strain in some. It is not healthy to observe intense light for periods of time. Also some materials are reflective which is hazardous in itself. Reflections can redirect more photons into your eye. Trying not to get it into peoples eyes needs to be worded as must not get it in peoples eyes. Best case scenario is temporary damage, eye spots etc. Worst case, long term vision impairment. We are not medical professionals so can't give more than that.

Night pointing has its own risks that you need to be aware of. Air traffic must not be on the receiving end of your laser. In fact no vehicle or person should be. It is an offence to shine a laser in this way. Lasers are fascinating to observe. If you must shine a laser into the night sky. Be very vigilant. Check for air traffic and avoid public spaces. If you are near a airport best not to shine the laser into the sky at anytime. Avoid erratic motions, this decreases the chance of accidental laser strikes. Keep sky-pointing times down to a minimum. The less time in the sky, the less time you have of hitting anything. Also never let a friend use your laser without first demonstrating sensibility and responsibility.
I recommend flightradar24 its an android app that will let you see flights. I personally use it all the time.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, keeping track of flight is definitely a good idea. But it should be noted that not every flight is recorded. Some military aircraft for example.

Snecho

Just curious, do you have a picture of the laser?