Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1000mw Red laser, Broken/scammed.

Hi,
Long story short- Bought a laser for cheap from a china based site,
Was meant to be a;
-1000mW 808nm H808L-1000 Handheld Red Beam Laser Pointer with Double Lock (Black)

Turns out it's a h808-500b-fa, according to the sticker on the laser...

Get's better then the laser rating sticker says its max output is <200mw.

So after a nice old rage and head hunt im left with what seems a 200mw Red.

ON42q.jpg

So my issue is this laser worked when It came but very very faintly like a fair toy, So I got some new batteries and turned the screw in the hole now it don't shine at all.

Im new to this, trying to get some working use of it, at least...

Thanks in advance

PLEASE be very careful with that laser if you get it working!!!

The reason why it seems so dim is that it is 808nm which is near infrared. So while it may appear very very weak, it could have been quite powerful.

Best thing you can do is put that laser aside in a drawer somewhere, and take this as a lesson.

Research wavelengths... and please get your self proper safety goggles.

The problem is your laser is an 808nm infrared laser. IR light is not very visible to the eye, so your laser could be producing loads of power, but you won't be able to see it very well. IR lasers are more dangerous than visible lasers for that reason.. the light looks very dim to the eye, but is still very powerful. Most likely when you turned the screw you turned up the drive current to the laser diode and killed it. Not good news I know.

In the future, avoid infrared lasers. The band of visible light runs from 400-700nm, so when you're looking for red lasers make sure that the wavelength is lower than 700nm, with 630-660nm being best. Your laser is 808nm, which is outside this range.

EDIT: Infinitus beat me to it lol..

Last edited:
this is the lights on, looks like switch is doing it's job right... Hope this is some help?
H0XQd.jpg

Thank you so much for your help, lesson learned, I appreciate the speedy response and knowledgeable reply's.

Is there any cool uses for the I.R lasers?

Off to do some research into a nice green one, to buy.

Thank you so much for your help, lesson learned, I appreciate the speedy response and knowledgeable reply's.

Is there any cool uses for the I.R lasers?

Off to do some research into a nice green one, to buy.

Not really. I mean powerful IR lasers can burn stuff, but that's basically it.

When you do get your green laser... get yourself good goggles too. Check my signature for links.

IR lasers are sweet if you have night-vision equipment. You can also use 808nm lasers specifically for DPSS (diode-pumped solid-state) laser experiments. IR lasers also burn very well, but you've got to be VERY careful using them for burning because of the low visibility of the light. Goggles are a MUST with IR lasers.

Last edited:
You can use them for burning and they are visible to camcorders, I would suggest you get your eyes checked and some safety goggles first.

jimdt7

You MUST buy safety goggles,
otherwise dont use the laser again !

REMEMBER YOU HAVE ONLY ONE PAIR OF EYES

Ash

If you want to sell this laser (even if it's broken), I will buy it from you (depending on price).
PM me if interested. :cool: