Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

<1000mW for $10?

Sorry for the crappy pics, real camera is still packed away somewhere...
Stopped at a few of the surf shop / tourist trap's today.

The first shop had the green lasers but it only said <5mW, I was looking for something a bit more.

I went to the second shop and found something a little better, <50mW it said.
2bfc8524.jpg

On the back of the box its says <1000mW :eek:
c41d8014.jpg

The sticker on the laser it self reads <50mW
7467baf2.jpg

When the laser is powered on I can feel warmth on the back of my hand and my lips.
Is <50mW enough to feel warmth or is it more than what its labeled even?

It is definitely LESS THAN 1000mW though, haha. It is probably IR unfiltered so you may have 50mW or more of green but also a few dozen mW of unfocused 1064nm.

DJNY

Priceangels used to have the laser in your first pic. I have it in the same box. Mine is steady 20mW.

In your second pic you focused the floor :beer:

For your question according the power, the beam diameter at the aperture influences a better cognition. Thicker beam = lower power on the surface per mm
Do you see a big dot on the distance (>20feet)? If yes, might be the case that the laser is focused on a short distance. Then 30mW is enough to feel the heat. If not, your laser is at least 50mW (incl IR) from my guess. Your skin color is also important. As you know, the darker the shined object, the more the light gets absorbed.

Joe Mo

50mw is < 1000mw, it would never be 1000mw in that host, it wouldn't even be 250mw in the pen host realistically.

How much was it?

Blord

Technically <1000mW is correct. If the "m" was omitted the label still stand correct. :D
I doubt there is any hand-held laser that is over 1000Watt of power.

a 1000mw laser is not a class lll laser... its a IV class and the label says class lll laser
btw im not 100% sure of this

UPDATE:
with new batteries (wow it makes a difference) it will burn holes in black trash bags
scratchchin.gif

WN89

i think its probably on spec, i have a <50mw green too and i can feel the warmth on my hand and it also pokes holes through black bags like yours. my friends 35mw green also does the same. search for styropyro on youtube. he has done a vid of what certain mw can do and in his vid 35mw is the minimum you need to poke holes through black bags. I find it a handy vid to watch to judge the power of a laser if you dont have an LPM like me.

Last edited: