Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

100% Energy density LASER

Hey,
We all think of lasers in wavelengths, but that if there was a 0nm laser, i.e. one that was 100% density energy? What would that be like?

iewed

Wouldn't 0nm be theoretical, like absolute zero? This is an interesting topic, I've never thought of a 0nm laser before.

It wouldn't be like anything. 0nm implies infinite frequency which would not be a wave and thus not light. Now if only we can get Sony to start working on it... haha

maybe 0nm was the wrong way of putting it, what I meant was like having a pure energy beam. So you would have 100% of the beams area filled with photons.

Isn't that what a beam already is? Photons?
Unless you mean that the profile of the beam is more solid rather than Gaussian?

Is this what you mean by "100% of the beam's area filled with photons?"
Untitled-1-1.jpg

Switch

happytomato said:
maybe 0nm was the wrong way of putting it, what I meant was like having a pure energy beam. So you would have 100% of the beams area filled with photons.

I don't think there is a limit to how much energy you can concentrate in one spot of a given size. :p

the light is made up of photons
take out the wave property, it's no longer a photon, just a particle

Switch

I think he actually means that the beam would be so concentrated that it will be photon next to photon , with no space in between and no room for more.Something like that? :-/

Switch said:
I think he actually means that the beam would be so concentrated that it will be photon next to photon , with no space in between and no room for more.Something like that? :-/
exactly.

I'm no Physicist, but I think you might be getting the wrong idea.

The wavelength is a measure of the frequency that the photons are at, not the density.

532nm green just means that the rate at which the photons in that spectrum vibrate can be measured in terms of wavelength, and the same for all other wavelengths.

I don't think there's any corelation between the wavelength and the photon density at all.

They are two seperate metrics entirely.

If anything, the power output over the beam width would imply the photon density, with divergence offering an idea of how stable that density would be over distance.

As for a theoretical zero, that can't exist.

diachi

Well It might me bear possible, but not completely possible, that would be like having solid light, which isnt possible because light isnt matter it doesnt have a mass .... Kinda confusing, i'll ask my physics teacher, got physics in 1 hour and 20 minutes .

Diachi

diachi

yes but you cant stop solid energy not even with a brick wall , its not even possible to creat it in the first place, would be cool though. It would have 0 Mass and therefore weigh nothing !! ;)

Diachi

Justin

Photons do not obey the Pauli exclusion principle so they can actually occupy the same space. There is no limit to the density of light that you can pack into a given area, but at a certain point you create a singularity/black hole. This question is invalid!

2 words "Real Genius"
real_genius_laser.jpg

"It's a chemical laser but in solid, not gaseous, form"

"it's like lasing a stick of dynamite"

the full quote goes like this ..
"It’s a chemical laser, but in solid not gaseous form. Put simply, in deference to you Kent, it’s like lasing a stick of dynamite. As soon as we apply a field recoupled to a state that is radiatively coupled to the ground state. (gets up and goes over to the laser) I figure we can extract ten to the 21st photons per cubic centimeter, which would give one killajule per cubic centimeter at 600 nanometers or one megajule per liter."