Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.4w 445nm LP

nugget

Okay, I bought some teflon tape (which I found out is a trade name for PTFE tape) and wrapped a piece around the lens thread once.

It screws back in much sturdier however if I unscrew the focus ring, the ridged ring unscrews itself from the lens thread as the teflon tape keeps that bit in place so that makes me think I should spend on an internel and/or external spring?

Alternatively, can I apply a small blob of super glue on the focus ring to secure it to the lens thread?

Finally, is this lens thread and focus ring universal? Ideally I would like a larger diameter focus ring so I don't burn my fingers as I twist it with the laser pen on and if I accidentally lose these two pieces as I focus, can I replace them easily? From where I bought it off (it was originally built by "Blord") and have been advised it's a 445nm lens 3-element glass with a standard focus ring.

www.nugget.org.uk/storage/lp teflon.jpg

Last edited:

nugget

Thanks, I'll contact the OP of that thread and get some ordered.

With pressure forcing the lens and focus ring outwards, I'm worried that through twisting to focus too much the whole unit gets thrown outwards and lost? Or am I just being paranoid lol

Don't worry about the lens flying off if you accidentally change the focus too much. All my lasers use springs and I have never had it happen.

I have had a couple focus rings get loose when trying to change focus on my lasers but I fixed them by twisting the focus ring and lens together as hard as I possibly could and they stay after that. If you still have issues with them unscrewing then Blord's suggestion of a tiny bit of superglue on the focus ring should work great. I would let it dry off the laser for several hours or you may get clouding on the diode window which would suck.

nugget

I'm going to order some of the internal springs from the link given and see how they go :D

nugget

Just whilst I'm awaiting the delivery of these springs, can I buy a bigger focus ring? Are they set diameters etc?

There are many sellers here on LPF who sell custom focus rings/adapters. Try a few searches and I am quite sure you won't have any issues coming up with a list of them. I do know Flaminpyro sells some super elaborate adapters. In fact I have a couple on order with him right now.

nugget

Aha, thanks.

Are these universal/set sizes? Or do I need to look for a size in particular for mine?

The sizes of the lens threads are universal but the adapters themselves are varying sizes. Some are huge and some are barely bigger than stock. Yes, you will need to find one that will fit your host. Its up to you what you want. Some people selling custom adapters will make your adapter to order if you tell them what host you have or the exact dimensions you want. I know Flaminpyro does this and this is why I chose to have him make me some. Here is a link to his adapter thread if you are interested:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-custom-focus-rings-any-build-52448.html#post730873