Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.2W red build: Vishio HL63283HD

Hello it has been about 9 years but I'm back in the laser game! Glad to be back and this time I have a garage with a milling machine and lathe which I am learning how to use. Machining is useful for all my hobbies and I'm practicing on lasers. Here's my setup: Lagun FTV milling machine & Logan 14" lathe.Capture7.JPG

Here is my latest build with a diode I haven't seen used before. See title for part number. This diode is 9MM 638nm multimode, spec sheet:
Capture8.JPG

My brother is an aircraft mechanic that gives me lots of cool junk to work with. He gave me some stainless pins & other parts from a helicopter which are perfect for a hand held laser. The bigger cast steel parts will go for future higher power builds.

Capture5.JPG

Here are pics of the build. I machined a module out of copper, to fit the 9mm diode, as well as a 12mm lens from Thorlabs (8mm focal length). This lens helps mitigate some of the divergence.
Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

I found it hard to keep the drill bit on-center when drilling the holes in the stainless. I probably should have milled a flat spot & center drilled beforehand. As i said I am not an experienced machinist. The module & the tail are held in place by set-screws.
Capture6.JPG

I just drove this diode at the recommended current from the data sheet, have not really "pushed it". So far happy with the performance being on spec.
Capture3.JPG

Here is a beam shot, no fog obviously. The spot size is a line, measeured to be 3" long at 25' distance. I will experiment with cylinder correction in the future. Also would like to crank up the current and find the limits of this diode.
Capture4.JPG

Encap

Welcome back. Nice machines--good photos--best of luck learning machinist's skills on them.

Laser looks good for a first attempt.

Last edited:

405nanoMatt

Hello it has been about 9 years but I'm back in the laser game! Glad to be back and this time I have a garage with a milling machine and lathe which I am learning how to use. Machining is useful for all my hobbies and I'm practicing on lasers. Here's my setup: Lagun FTV milling machine & Logan 14" lathe.View attachment 70452

Here is my latest build with a diode I haven't seen used before. See title for part number. This diode is 9MM 638nm multimode, spec sheet:
View attachment 70453

My brother is an aircraft mechanic that gives me lots of cool junk to work with. He gave me some stainless pins & other parts from a helicopter which are perfect for a hand held laser. The bigger cast steel parts will go for future higher power builds.

View attachment 70454

Here are pics of the build. I machined a module out of copper, to fit the 9mm diode, as well as a 12mm lens from Thorlabs (8mm focal length). This lens helps mitigate some of the divergence.
View attachment 70455View attachment 70456

I found it hard to keep the drill bit on-center when drilling the holes in the stainless. I probably should have milled a flat spot & center drilled beforehand. As i said I am not an experienced machinist. The module & the tail are held in place by set-screws.
View attachment 70457

I just drove this diode at the recommended current from the data sheet, have not really "pushed it". So far happy with the performance being on spec.
View attachment 70458

Here is a beam shot, no fog obviously. The spot size is a line, measeured to be 3" long at 25' distance. I will experiment with cylinder correction in the future. Also would like to crank up the current and find the limits of this diode.
View attachment 70459
Awesome build ! I have found the red diodes to be the most troublesome to work with great job.

Hi,

I have tested some of these diodes 2 years ago. They do not like to be heated over room temperature, I have quickly burned one not thinking about it at start.
Please be aware of this with your build.

Here I composed the power vs. current chart in post 39 trying to overdrive and using a home made ice box as chiller:
Then compared the line with NUBM44 in post 43.

Here combine 2 of them by PBS and use 6x cylindricals to obtain a decent beam which could burn a black PVC sheet on the wall:

Thanks for linking those threads. Thinking of building my other with cyl correction. On top of that my 8mm efl lens also helps with divergence. This diode is so divergent that it really makes me appreciate my 638 single mode as it's beam is visible much further since it keeps it's shape. This is more of a triangle than a beam.

gazer101

idk if I were to build a red I'd probably just overdrive a mitts. They can safely hit 1W+ and have better divergence

idk if I were to build a red I'd probably just overdrive a mitts. They can safely hit 1W+ and have better divergence
This diode has a lot more potential but it will need corrective optics. Something to be said for trying something different.