Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1,200 lasers reported confiscated at Australia

ixfd64

I got this from CPF. Basically, it was reported that 1,200 lasers were confiscated at Australian customs. It seems Australia was indeed serious when it said it was going to ban lasers.

This raises several questions:

1. Does the ban apply to all lasers, or just laser pointers? A high-powered laser with safety features does not count as a "pointer."

2. How hard is getting a laser permit in Australia?

3. Is it possible to import lasers that are sold as OEM components?

4. Do the Australian customs officials actually check the output of a laser? If not, what's to stop sellers from sticking a fake "<0.5 mW" label on a laser?

According to the article it looks like they just confiscated laser pointers. I can't imagine how they would be able to confiscate a laser module or something similar.

The others I really can't answer....as for #4, I'm not sure what would happen in that circumstance. Wonder what they'd do with an IR pointer putting out 400mw or so, if it was marked less than a mw. Put batteries in it, shine it around, and say "hey, wait a minute - this one doesn't even work!" all the while some idiot customs person looks right into the laser aperture! You know, I don't have a clue about that one! ::)

Isn't this what happens when a government no longer answers to the
citizens?? Search and confiscation is coming to all soon.

Mike

Things

"The 1200 devices seized by Customs were likely to be destroyed"

LASER ABUSE!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek:

I doubt they would destroy them, I bet someone took one home to play with ::)

OMG 1,200 laser beam pics pleaz !!!

Seriously, customs should really consider playing with them to understand how dissapointed we feel.

diachi

Helioplasma said:
OMG 1,200 laser beam pics pleaz !!!

[highlight]Seriously, customs should really consider playing with them to understand how dissapointed we feel.[/highlight]

~
;D

Think of how bright they would all be at once :eek:

WOW !! Australia's customs are such a dick. That's alot of lasers people are missing. I wonder what there going to do with the lasers ? if there going to do a Auction ill fly out there just for the heck of it ;D