Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1/1/09 4am

Was going through new years eve photos...

Attachments

• lasershot.jpg
    lasershot.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 95

pseudonyms said:
Is that some kind of liquor?  That's a really cool effect.

If it is alcoholic I wana try this as well.

Although I fear I might drink it before I get the batteries in my laser...

Fill up a fish tank, and you could probably trick someone into thinking it's argon. ;D

daguin

Take a glass of water.  Dip a yellow highlighter into it.  Swish it around.  Remove it.  Shine violet laser into water.  Also shine green laser into it ;)

I have a 400 gallon aquarium that only has water in it for now (I have to upgrade the electrical panel and pull a new circuit to it).  I "washed" out a highlighter in it.  The bouncing beams were amazing.

I also have a couple of jars (sealed) of  this in my office as "targets."

Peace,
dave

So Dave... you killed all your fish with a Laser/Highlighter experiment...eh.. ::)

Jerry

daguin

lasersbee said:
So Dave... you killed all your fish with a Laser/Highlighter experiment...eh.. ::)

Jerry

Haven't been any fish in it here yet. The electrical circuit on the wall where it is won't even handle the heater :eek:

Peace,
dave

Yah, that's alcohol.  It's some stuff called St. Germains.  It's a low proof (20) mixing alcohol.  It had an eerie green glow, so decided to see what it would do.  
A lot of alcoholic bevies fluoresce to some degree. As do mixers..   well..  actually, lots of stuff fluoresces.

I've got a 220 gallon aquarium,full of plants and a few big fish.  The bluray looks awesome in it, but I don't do it often.  It freaks a couple of my fish out.  Aquarium water fluoresces way more than fresh tap water, too.  Even very small amounts of nitrates and phosphates really light up.  
Wish I had a 400!!! that would be great.

About having to run a circuit for your heater... I had to do a few things for my aquarium. The place it fits in my house is parallel w/ the floor joists, so I had to double them up, and add I column in the basement. Luckily it's up against the wall w/ the garage on the other side. I punched a hole through the wall and have all my plumbing and pumps and co2 out there (co2 is for the plants). It keeps the aquarium almost silent inside the house. And then, I also had to run power. My breaker box is in the garage too, so it was easy to run a couple of dedicated power lines.
we big aquarium owners sure do work hard for our fish... for some reason.......

daguin

wicked1 said:
Wish I had a 400!!! that would be great.

If you lived in Southern California I might give this one to you.  It just sits there because this old house doesn't have enough circuits to be able to power it on the only wall I can keep it on  :'(  The Electrical Panel upgrade cannot happen until I get a buyer for a modular home I have.  With the housing market in California right now, that doesn't look like it's going to happen soon.

Peace,
dave

Dave, I added more about the hoops I had to jump through to my post, and you had posted while I was editing.. so, bump... read the bottom of my previous post.

daguin

wicked1 said:
Dave, I added more about the hoops I had to jump through to my post, and you had posted while I was editing.. so, bump...  read the bottom of my previous post.

In my former life (before going back to school), I had five aquariums set up. The largest was a 300 gallon Marine predator tank. The smallest was a 60 gallon Discus tank. I had 120 gallons just for African cichlids.

Peace,
dave