Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ZoneStealth ebay 532nm green safety goggles

chido

Well, since these ones he just bought are for 532nm protection I'm guessing his lasershades were 532nm too, so they must have been the "geeky" style since WL only sells sport style glasses for 650nm protection.

chido said:
Well, since these ones he just bought are for 532nm protection I'm guessing his lasershades were 532nm too, so they must have been the "geeky" style since WL only sells sport style glasses for 650nm protection.

Naw - they sell the red "Lasershades" as well - pretty standard fare - work very well, too. I prefer them to the "sport elite" ones, because with the "SE" you cannot see the dot ! Kinda eliminates the benefit of using safety goggles if you look over or around them :p

chido

I know they sell lasershades for 650nm protection, (duh) ;D but since xJumper ordered the 532nm ones from zonestealth I'm guessing his lasershades were for 532nm protection too, they had to be the lab style ones (geeky style as I like to call them) since the SE are only available for 650nm protection.

And actually, the sport style glasses are OD2. :p They used to be advertised at OD5 until SMIDSY ordered a pair, he got them tested and found out they were OD2. he then contacted WL about this and they gave him 20 dollars back for it. They corrected the website saying the goggles were actually OD2+, but a little after that happened the goggles started to get advertised at OD5 once more, so SMIDSY emailed them once again and now the goggles are advertised at OD2. (again) ;D (kinda funny how they made the same mistake twice)

BTW, do you know what the lasershades are rated at? I believe they're OD3.
I think I read that a long time ago in some thread (I wasn't even registered back then) but now I don't remember exactly. :-/

EDIT: Sorry, it wasn't SMIDSY who got them tested, he just said the goggles had OD2+ written on them, I believe Amk was the one who tested them, (I think) crap, why can't I remember things???? :mad: ;D

chido said:
I know they sell lasershades for 650nm protection, (duh) ;D but since xJumper ordered the 532nm ones from zonestealth I'm guessing his lasershades were for 532nm protection too, they had to be the lab style ones (geeky style as I like to call them) since the SE are only available for 650nm protection.

And actually, the sport style glasses are OD2. :p They used to be advertised at OD5 until SMIDSY ordered a pair, he got them tested and found out they were OD2. he then contacted WL about this and they gave him 20 dollars back for it. They corrected the website saying the goggles were actually OD2+, but a little after that happened the goggles started to get advertised at OD5 once more, so SMIDSY emailed them once again and now the goggles are advertised at OD2. (again) ;D (kinda funny how they made the same mistake twice)

I think I read that a long time ago in some thread (I wasn't even registered back then) but now I don't remember exactly. :-/

EDIT: Sorry, it wasn't SMIDSY who got them tested, he just said the goggles had OD2+ written on them, I believe Amk was the one who tested them, (I think) crap, why can't I remember things???? :mad: ;D

LOL !! It happens when there is SOOOO much info on here, and other places - your head gets saturated with so much lasing facts :) Uhm...or at least it does to me ? Hehehehe...that's why I spout off <I mean, post> in so many threads...relieving the pressure ! HAHAHAHA !

chido

Yeah, that happens to me all the time, sometimes when I'm helping someone on a thread, he/she PMs me asking something like "you told me to drive my diode at 300mA, but what happens when.....?" and then I pm back saying "WHO ARE YOU?" because I forget where or when I helped that person. ;D

You still haven't answered my question though, maybe your head is already filled up all the way with lasing facts. ;D Would you happen to know what OD the lasershades are rated at?

Erm - sorry about ditching your question :p I think perhaps I am still too saturated, as I cannot recall the OD rating. I seem to recall that the Lasershades (both red and green) were rated at OD 2-3 and the Sport Elite (both red and green) were rated at OD 4-5 I am not stating that as absolute, as I could be mistaken - those numbers just seem to be "stuck" in the mush pit that is my brain ATM :) I'll try to find out, though - since I couldn't recall, when I posted them for sale on my site, I didn't put the OD rating on there, either :(

chido

Ok, good luck with that. :)
I'm 100% sure the SE red goggles are OD2, I just can't remember who tested them. BTW, where did you see the green SE goggles, I don't see them anywhere on the WL site, the only ones I see are for 650nm protection, but no SE green. :-?

EDIT: Crap, this is the "beast" number with a 1 in front of it, not as bad as the number alone but still bad, I gotta make another post quick. :eek: ;D

I also own a pair of Zonestealth 532nm goggles and I am quite dissatisfied with their performance. They look good, and they work great at first. But the protection they use implements a thin coating overtop of the lens, and if you scratch it, it loses it's ability to reflect 532nm light. I've had my pair for 6 months now, and just from putting them into and taking them out of the case a bunch of times,they have gotten all scratched up. If I shine a green laser at them, you can see streaks of green light coming out the other side. I keep them only as a spare, and even then I'd rather not even risk it. Would not recommend them.

I saw your review you made about the ZoneStealth goggles but I really don't see what your saying about the thin coating. I have got theme scratched and I don't see any real difference, I got burning gun powder to spray on theme from when I set fire to a 22 rifle casing and after I whipped it off it was just like new, I do have some glow coming out from the edge but nothing close to being dangerous. I really don't know if its just everybody here is an ebay hatter or im just really lucky to have got a good pair.

chido

No one here is an ebay hater, it just happens that zonestealth is known to sell crappy products, that's it. There are lots of good ebay sellers.

Its possible that his goggles are hit and miss. Maybe you just got a good pair. I think I paid more then you too. They were $58 + shipping when I bought mine. ::)

SMIDSY

chido said:

actually I had them tested 2 by my college lab and they confirmed OD 2- they are VERY good goggles but  the whole WL false advertising thing has to stop....

They seem to have kept the od 2+ though which is good :)

edit: this was a while back but I remember as they upped the wavelength they foundthat around the 650nm mark the OD was nearer 2.5 than 2.

also a whiel back i got CC to test zone stealths goggles and they were HORRIBLY over specked.

They did not protect nearly as well as advertised and CC sodl them straight away to get rid of them.

I thouht me and CC nailed this guy once and for all!

My first goggles were just like these from Zonestealth, not only do they rely on reflection for protection, they are mirrored on the inside as well, so in addition to the strange color-effects the lens had on everything, (looked like you were using those old red/blue 3-D glasses), but you had relfections from behind you bouncing around inside, you could kinda-see someone who may be standing behind you, very disorienting. I started the ML-7 group-buy less than a week later, I have never looked back. I have never tried the WL-shades, but I have alsways heard good things.

xJumper said:
I saw your review you made about the ZoneStealth goggles but I really don't see what your saying about the thin coating. I have got theme scratched and I don't see any real difference, I got burning gun powder to spray on theme from when[highlight] I set fire to a 22 rifle casing[/highlight] and after I whipped it off it was just like new,
I would recommend something more like a deep-see divers helmet if you are doing this sort of thing much IMHO ;)