Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Youtube Sign Laser Cutting

ok
i watched this some time ago but i thought i'd share it with the ones who havent seen it yet =)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G28PJ5ceak4[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRZCUQE01kg[/media]

first vid is 7 mins long, second one is 5 mins (approximate, both)

enjoy! ;D ;)

Switch

Well that thing must be plenty powerful ::)

What the deal with the "finger stunts"? I don't get it.. :-/

Switch said:
Well that thing must be plenty powerful ::)

What the deal with the "finger stunts"? I don't get it.. :-/

didnt get it either, i think that they're giving credit (joking) to the man who grabbed the metal letters with his hand before they fell

Switch

Thought so too, but it seemed like a pretty standard thing to do.The CNC machine isn't going to acctidently slip and cut your finger off with the laser ,you know ::)

That brings back old memories when I worked at that laser machine shop.... They had a 1.5Kw CO2 laser that they used to cut sheet metal but I never saw any operator have to have his or her hands that close to the cutting process. I don't think there would be any danger but the sparks (and there were a lot more at the place I worked - they were going all over ike a Fourth of July sparkler!) would sting.

Where I worked they had some other way of securing the work piece to the cutting table rather than having someone try to hold it in place (at least that's what it seemed like he was doing)

yeah i thought the same, why didnt they just hold it in place with some tool (sorry dont know the name in english :p), nobody knows....but they did get the sign right ::)

Looked more like a plasma cutter to me, the way it touches the metal first.

On the other hand I am a laser noob :D

M

m.carroll

yep the sparks are a giveaway, its a plasma cutter. still cool though.

Switch

m.carroll said:
yep the sparks are a giveaway, its a plasma cutter. still cool though.
I think it may be a laser still.Laser cutting produces sparks too you know :p besides, a plasma cutter makes a lot more sparks that also fly over the sheet, not only under it.

M

m.carroll

Switch said:
[quote author=m.carroll link=1205825655/0#8 date=1206457857]yep the sparks are a giveaway, its a plasma cutter. still cool though.
I think it may be a laser still.Laser cutting produces sparks too you know :p besides, a plasma cutter makes a lot more sparks that also fly over the sheet, not only under it.[/quote]

agreed, however i believe the precision of the cnc setup lets the plasma tip be much closer to the surface (hence very few sparks above). maybe i'm just a doubter. in truth, if its a laser, i'm jealous.

GooeyGus said:
Looked more like a plasma cutter to me, the way it touches the metal first.

On the other hand I am a laser noob  :D

i think it touches the metal to create a circle hole on the surface for it to fall or be taken off when it finishes its route