Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Your knowledge? 405nm and 445nm

tonez

So I'm pretty newb to all this, but I was wondering if a decently high powered UV (405nm) laser will show a solid visible beam? What kinda of power (watts) would I need to see it like that? How would the (UV) visible beam compare to a 445nm at same wattage. My intentions are to be able to point out stars (constellations) rocks and mountain ranges at night. Also a little fun making things glow with UV and it looks awesome on white colors. The video's I saw don't do justice. Thanks for your help. :thanks:

If you want to point stars, get a low powered green laser. All else needs either too much power to be visible, or is too dim. Also, these can be bought for very cheap on ebay (protip: Get 2 as they kinda easily break)

tonez

Hey thanks, So I don't really want green, I know its one of the most visual spectrum's to human eye, but I would like a quality powered one in a UV or Blue spectrum. Just don't know which will suit me more. Can you see a high powered UV and Blue laser on rocks and mountains from a distance? What kinda power would I need to visualize this. :thanks:

Gabe

The thing is, our eyes have a tough time picking out dark blue and violet laser spots, so to us the dot seems to spread out and twinkle and morph, even though it doesn't. This makes pointing at a far away object next to impossible. Although by the way, blue will give you a much brighter beam than violet.

tonez

Very nice info and please excuse me for such basic newb questions lol..

One more thing, with a 1 watt 445nm quality laser, is it possible to see the blue dot on rocks (mountains) at 1000 ft or more, or would I need a green wavelength? Thank you.

I would like to add that 405nm isn't yet UV, it's borderline, but still part of the visible spectrum :)

-Alex

tonez

Is there such a place to get a 473 to 488nm laser? I think this might suit what I want a little more if its possible. thanks

Soo why do you exactly want a blue one? They are more expensive, and the multimode character of them makes them diverge way more than a green DPSS laser. Also, in my opinion, the smaller beam of the green ones make pointer a lot easier. And yes, there are 473nm lasers available (check jetlasers) but those are very very expensive for the power and generally only for wavelength hoarders

Last edited:

tonez

I basically just prefer the blue color a little more than green, no particular need just preference. When I goto concerts I've always liked the darker spectrum's, but man If I could get my hands on a teal colored one and not spend a fortune, that would be awesome.
:drool:

gozert

I'd honestly go for a 532nm for star pointing. This because 405 to 473nm are harder to focus on for your eyes. For example, my 405nm is a single mode diode with a very tight beam. I can see it start tight and after about 10ft it gets wider and wider. However, when I look at the dot 20 or 30ft away, I see that it's still pretty small, and that it has a way lower divergence that what I'd assume by just looking at it from behind.

If you want a special color, go for 589nm. It's beautiful and easy to see, even at 50mW or so.

tonez

Holly balls lol, yeah you guys are absolutely right, not in my budget.. I think $150 max is where I wanna be and preferably $100 or so.. Ok so I think green is probably best fit for what I want..

Where do you guys suggest I buy a good green laser, pattern caps to go with is a plus.

Wow I've learned so much more on these forums than I've been wasting for the past month. hah

I just saw your post, gozert.. Looking into the 589nm now.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Gabe

Here bud, this is about the cheapest place to get 50+ mW of 589 that I know of:
Yellow Laser Pointers : Dragon Lasers
Also a lil expensive, if you want a green laser with pattern caps, I'm not quite sure other than fleabay. LaserBTB has nice cheap lasers: laserbtb
But they don't have a way to screw star caps on them.

This diode might be what you're after. It's blue but it's a higher WL and it's also a pretty decent power for a single mode. But I'll agree with the others that green would be better suited.