Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

You gota try this with a laser!

First you need to get yourself a glass bottle something like this

http://www.cebas.com/products/images/fr_stage1/r2/JuiceBottle_SSS.jpg

Than you need a small box of matches and a rubber band to tie theme all up in one lil neat stack, then open the bottle and place theme inside, then screw on the bottle cap and then take your laser (Should be high powered of 75mW+ and using a lens would help) and then ignite the one of the matches, the first few will burn but then their will be no oxygen and you have now created a very high pressure vacuum, if you unscrew the cap a few seconds latter after a HUGE fire explosion will come out (but the bottle will not break), but if you don't do that than I suggest finding a deserted area and throwing the bottle as far as you can, it will explode and shatter into many pieces (because you waited to long and this time no fire will be coming out).

Really fun thing to try, theirs even a guy on youtube that did it (the cap was not even screwed on it was just held their by gravity) and the thing launched the bottle into the air!

cool!!where's the link!!!!!!! i wanna see that video

(though it must be really dangerous..)

Switch

Cyparagon said:
[quote author=xJumper link=1211149907/0#0 date=1211149907]you have now created a very high pressure vacuum

Yeah, because F UCK YOU PHYSICS!  :p[/quote]
Lol :D It really isn't a vacuum at all. The oxygen doesn't just disapear.Besides, it's only 28% of the air in the jar. ::)

Anyway, the higher the power your laser is, the safer you will be :D Too bad your CO2 laser would probably pierce the glass or cause it to crack from overheating, Cyparagon :p Maybe if you do it in a ZnSe bottle ;D

xJumper dude, it's "them" not "theme".Not that I'm picky or anything, but you always always type "theme" lol :p

Book

created a very high pressure vacuum,
You've created a vacuum? The bottle in the video pops off the ground that would mean that the pressure inside the bottle is a lot higher than the atmospheric pressure

Switch

I'm not sure if it's low pressure/implosion or high pressure/explosion.But a "high pressure vacuum" is ....well....just look up "vacuum", you'll see what Cyparagon tried to underline ::)

Book

Yeah, I was talking independently of the high-pressure-vacuum paradox.

I'm not sure about the chemical reaction of potassium chlorate (or any other substance they may be using as the head of the match), but I highly doubt it would create an implosion, not only because of the products being greater in volume, but also due to the intense heat released

I really don't care what kind of vacuum it has or what physics, ect... Just try it out and you will see what happens... :cool:

xJumper said:
if you unscrew the cap a few seconds latter after a HUGE fire explosion will come out (but the bottle will not break)

This does not sound like a very smart thing to do. Not that a stack of matches can generate a significant amount of energy, but holding a glass bottle that is about to 'explode' sounds like darwin award material to me.

Petrovski said:
Not that a stack of matches can generate a significant amount of energy, but holding a glass bottle that is about to 'explode' sounds like darwin award material to me.

phrase of the year.

Zom-B

Another experiment with matches in closed spaces:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/v/IIgAXwphfw4[/media]

Yea well try the one with the glass over the plate filled with water or whatever you used (bad quality I cant see) with a whole stack of matches. :cool:

Switch

Some how I never thought of using water like that....it's briliant, and it'll give up way more bubbles if you use more matches.And it proves it's an explosion and not an implosion after all.