Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Yet another 445 stainless (picture heavy)

Hello LPF :), this is my third laser to date. I just had to try a high power 445 build lol, i think everyone has atleast one.
I wanted something that looked slick so i went with the very famous Aurora SH-032 stainless steel.
This is basically a "big brother" from my previous PHR build.

Whoever wants to read through the text I will explain in detail how i built it, or you can just scan through the photographs, either way.

So here we go.

I decided to use Survival Laser's Copper module for better heatsinking. The driver was set in a breeze to 1024 mA using Jufran88's test load Kit. (Thanks! ;))
I am using a Qumefox 445/405 tri element glass lens.
The copper piece you see in the center was cut from a pipe. It will be used to heatsink the driver.

It's difficult to comprehend such a tiny device can project so much light, so here is a macro. Only 5.6mm Diameter, which means the actual Die is less than 1mm across; This further shows laser diodes are LED's cousins. I imagine now the newer 3.8mm cans :confused:.

So i got the diode in my press and grabbed an aixiz back to insert it. About halfway i heard a cracking sound.

I immediately cussed and thought i had just busted the diode window somehow. LOL :D actually the aixiz back had cracked and bent from the force of the vise. I had to use another back to finish pressing it.

This tells us the press fit from this copper module is tighter and thus has more contact area, or maybe it was because its really cold lol... I really vouch for this piece, not only are diameters better machined, but the threads are more carefully done so you need almost no teflon tape and the price is very conservative :p.

Next, i glued the copper square to the back of the driver with some arctic silver thermal adhesive. This epoxy stuff is really nice heh, sets in 5 mins and is non-conductive so i don't have to worry about short circuits.

However, the driver is not glued to the flashlight pill, it just rests against it so i can remove it if ever need to. Plus, the height of the copper bar makes the driver get sandwiched between the lid of the pill and the back so it doesn't move. I don't know, i just didnt want to permanently have it stuck there :thinking:

The diode heatsink is aluminum and was kindly machined by Rocket689(nick). Thanks buddy, it fits very nice and i really like the mirror polish. :beer:

I forgot to take pictures when i soldered the leads to the diode lol. So this is the complete driver and diode assembly. Time to screw it on the host head.
Also, i put some CPU grease between the copper module and the heatsink to ensure best contact.

As we know, this host has many different versions. Mine can tailstand and came with a green cap. Some have double o-rings but mine has only one per thread.

Lol If you have reached this far, thanks for reading. And thanks to the LPF community which have taught me how to fabricate this. I can post some beamshots tomorrow if you guys want xP time to sleep.

:wave: Now more pictures, hahaha all the pictures D:!
Is the resolution fine? i was gonna go for 1024x768 but decided to get smaller to 800x600. Some of us still have old technology. :eek:
It was foggy this morning.

Plasma rifle lol

Ok enough with the pics :yabbem:

Last edited:

TuhOz

Nice build! I love that host...

I build almost similar laser too few days ago :D
But I forgot to take pics.. lol

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that your diode, heatsink and wire got to you safely. :)

You scared me for a moment there and I thought you broke the diode. :eek:

Looks like everything went well and it's going to be a solid build.

Can't wait to see some pics of it in action! :evil:

Last edited:

jimdt7

Yea nice build, but no beamshots :(
The sh is one of my favorites hosts !
Did you get it from jayrob ?

Jim

Benm

Looks nice to me - i suppose the only reason to choose for stainless steel is cosmetic?

Well done! Good choice to use the copper module for better heat dissipation. +1 :beer:

Lol nick, now that i read it, it does seem like i said that xD
Thanks haha.