Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ye Olde Sunglasses Myth Broken?

I have some sunglasses, and although they dont block all of the light, the reduction is fairly significant (for sunnies ofc).

tinypic.com/player.php?v=r70fhg&s=3

The first two times of reduction are the glasses put in between the box and laser, whereas the third time (per laser) is over the phone camera itself.
Sorry for shite quality.

The lasers are 5mW green and 1mW red.

Even though theyre far from the desired safety, its better than nothing seeing as I dont own safety goggles.
Tried it on my eyes after (stupid, I know, but Ive been hit in the eye before so no biggie) and it was lessened enough to not need to blink (Y)

Not letting me post a video, so I linked instead >.<

Switch

Well you aren't gonna need goggles for a 5mW.And I bet those wouldn't be too great for a more powerful one, say at least 100mW. :p

chido

Yeah, you won't need goggles for anything below 5mW. ;)
And actually it's even worse wearing the sun glasses than playing with a laser with your bare eyes because the sun glasses make your pupils dilate and thus more light enters your eye. ;)

Switch

Yea, there's a debate about that.It makes your pupils dilate, BUT also blocks some of the light...so the question is "Is more or less light entering your eyes?" :-/ I'm not sure, I guess it would depend heavily on the laser and on the sunglasses, aswell as the environmental lighting.One thing I know, I tried my black sunglasses , as seen below(yea I just had that on my desktop so I figured.... :D) when burning with a dvd laser and it sure hurts my eyes LESS.Still hurts though, so it's a no-no :p

Attachments

• redpillyumyum.JPG
    redpillyumyum.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 96

Switch

Yeah I do! :D :D :D :D I also like eating them with a spoon, but sadly , there is none :-/

Even if you pupils dilate it wouldn’t mater because the laser beam is so thin I don’t think it would matter if your pupils were 2mm across or 1 cm across the beam is still 1.2 mm so the little bit that the sunglass did block would be better then nothing right?

chido

I was talking about reflections, scattered ones as a matter of fact. If the beam hits you directly then you're screwed, sunglasses or no sunglasses. ;D
Plus sunglasses won't block the light coming from a high powered laser, look at this vid: (yes they're ugly but they're still sunglasses) ;D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVQzc75YiQ[/media]

Switch

The size of your pupils matters a lot when it comes to diffuse or specular reflections.But with a high enough power, your pretty much screwed if you get a direct hit. :p Let's say they block 50%, so with a 100mW you still get 50mW in your eye.Maybe it's better, but it's still pretty bad.