Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

X100 Review:  Great laser

Razako

I just got my X100 today. I ordered it from nova about 8 days ago and used the free airmail shipping. Unlike the other X100 review mine came without a scratch on it. Also it seems to have decent divergence and good beam specs. It easily lights common red-tipped paper matches and the beam is nice and bright in the night sky. If you want to carry it around in your pocket all you need to do is use one of the cheap GITD silicone flashlight tail caps from dx as a lens cap. They are a perfect fit for the laser.
According to Nova it peaks at 135mw and averages 109mw. I measured it with my lasercheck and got a reading of 129mw with fresh alkaline batteries.
TREE005.jpg

Here's a quick match lighting video.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50SH6xvvUtc[/media]
Overall I give this laser 5/5 stars.

Re: X100 Review:  Great laser

Nice, I ordered the same one, cant wait for it to get here.

I might also pick up the tail caps next time i order from DX, great idea.

Just a quick opinion (or two) regarding the review...

Picture and description = Covers all the basics well

DX rubber lens cap = great idea, hats off to You.

Lighting ANYTHING (let alone a pack of matches) on a BED with a laser, or a lighter, or a toaster, or a, well, ANYTHING = PROBABLY the DUMBEST, most ILL-THOUGHT-OUT PLAN EVER.

I can see the headlines: UNREGULATED HANHELD LASER IN HANDS OF CIVILIAN DESTROYS HOME, FAMILY OF 4 DEAD, PUBLIC CRIES OUT FOR IMMEDIATE ACTION, "COHERENTS LAW" SIGNED INTO EFFECT, Etc, Etc....

Wonder what THAT would do to help the hobby...

BrewCityMusic said:

Lighting ANYTHING (let alone a pack of matches)  on a BED with a laser, or a lighter, or a toaster, or a, well, ANYTHING = PROBABLY the DUMBEST, most ILL-THOUGHT-OUT PLAN EVER.

I can see the headlines: UNREGULATED HANHELD LASER IN HANDS OF CIVILIAN DESTROYS HOME, FAMILY OF 4 DEAD, PUBLIC CRIES OUT FOR IMMEDIATE ACTION, "COHERENTS LAW" SIGNED INTO EFFECT, Etc, Etc....

Uh... well, not really.
You see, it would take a HELLUVA lot of stupidity and carelessness on Coherent's part to set his house on fire with a laser and a couple matches... Let alone kill four people in that fire.

Take it easy. Most of us here are "responsible laserists" and experienced pyros I'm sure.

chill_pill.jpg

Razako

BrewCityMusic said:

Lighting ANYTHING (let alone a pack of matches) on a BED with a laser, or a lighter, or a toaster, or a, well, ANYTHING = PROBABLY the DUMBEST, most ILL-THOUGHT-OUT PLAN EVER.

Because the bed is going to catch fire with me right there to blow the matches out ::)
Even if a burning match head fell onto the bed it would just leave a small burn spot because I would immediately smother the fire. I'm not an idiot.
Finally even if it had somehow amazingly set the bed on fire I have a fire extinguisher like 10 feet away in the hall.

Heh Heh - I KNEW that statement was gonna ruffle some feathers!

You're right, the majority of people who have the abilty to buy and own lasers also have the ability to understand the responsibility that accompanies their use.... I just really can't see doing something along the lines of having a lit match (regardless of the source of ignition) within 2 inches of bedding for ANY reason, let alone a reason that involves any type of forethought and/or responsibility.

Now put 2 and 2 together and you'll see why I had the reaction I did. Nothing personal against anyone, just a generalized opinion that maybe we all (as hobbyists) need to think ahead a bit more clearly, especially when we are involved in a hobby that is so vulnerable to attack.

Scenario: Little Johnnys' Mom comes home one day soon after he and his friends have bought lasers, only to find that someone being irresponsible had burned marks into the black plastic around her computer monitor. Damn Kids. Well, she starts thinking they're smoking, or doing some weird pyro stuff they learned on the internet when she wasn't around and goes online to get to the bottom of it all (hell, Dad's going to fly off on EVERYONE when he sees the messed-up monitor so she wants to be prepared) and LO AND BEHOLD she sees Johnny's "Laser Pointer Forums" activity, complete with a video of someone lighting matches on a bed with one of Johnnys' new toys.

Did Johnny tell her he was buying a "Burning Laser" when he asked if it was OK? Would she have let him own something that could ignite things and or potentially injure someone, or did she just figure the worst thing that could happen is he could annoy his teachers or ??? in class... Either way, she's calling EVERYONES parents now and making a fuss, and (especially when a bored housewife is thrown in the mix) as always, things escalate and turn into a real mess - see where I'm going?

If she went online to the forum and saw responsible, educated laser use she would be mad as hell at Johnny for being an irresponsible idiot, but no - she saw videos on the internet of other idiots setting matches on fire on the bed so now the entire scene is the fault of an irresponsible website that promotes people posting videos of setting stuff on fire in their bedroom.

I'm not saying we are idiots - I'm not saying ANYONE here is an idiot - I'm saying there are a lot of idiots out there and we need to be careful not to give them more ammo and/or a reason to target us.

Sorry if I made it look like I was "blazing" (hee hee - get it?) anyone specifically, I wasn't. Just making an observation.

I'm gonna go sit in the basement in my underwear, put on my foil cap, bat the lightbulb around and write letters to the govenment now, OK?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And BTW, having the fire extinguisher in proximity and the master plan to blow out the match or hope (given any type of error) against a conflguration in lieu of a small burn hole ranks right up there with playing in the street in front of the firehouse, hey IT'S OK - they have an ambulance RIGHT IN THERE...

Keep a fire extinguisher closeby in THE GARAGE, or near a NON-FLAMMABLE TEST BENCH - THAT's not just another great idea, but an even BETTER one, especially when you plan on publishing videos of burning stuff.

Listen - I really didn't mean to incense anyone, can't SOMEBODY at least see where I was coming from?

BrewCityMusic said:
Listen - I really didn't mean to incense anyone, can't SOMEBODY at least see where I was coming from?

yea... u care a lot about safty...

kinda like a overprotective mother? no offence

BrewCityMusic said:
Lighting ANYTHING (let alone a pack of matches)  on a BED with a laser, or a lighter, or a toaster, or a, well, ANYTHING = PROBABLY the DUMBEST, most ILL-THOUGHT-OUT PLAN EVER.

I gotta agree....

Not that coherent was irresponsible or did anything wrong in his own home....
that's his business

BUT...

It shows all the Noobs and inexperienced Members... that it is OK to set books of matches
on fire on your bed with Lasers...

Some jerk is going to burn his house or apartment building to the ground doing a similar demo....
and all he is going to be able to say to the authorities  is.... " I saw it on LPF so it should have been
OK..."

You do the math...   Hope it doesn't come back and bite you in the butt... ::)

Jerry

darmom

Alternate headline: Laser burns down house. Nova sales triple. ;D

Hee Hee again... Mixed reviews on the review of the review?!?

I've seen a lot of good stuff from Coherent on this forum, and I really don't think he was being anything other than "all fired up" (again, no pun intended) with his new laser, so noone should see this as "pointing fingers" or "protective mother" - we ALL make serious judgement errors at times (hell, before I really even had a clue as to the ability or reality of lasers I myself was guilty in more than one instance of "Audience Scanning") ...

And GDI, if it's OK with you, Coherent - I want your permission to USE that Moses picture, now THAT'S funny! ;D

Bottom line, let's all try and set a good example for others and protect ourselves all at once, K?

"Nova Sales Triple" ... Yer KILLIN me here, Darmon ;D ;D ;D

Ace82

Coherent, nice video, and a nice match burn is always appreciated.  It looks like the laser needed to warm up just a bit on the first match, then got the others like nothing!  A nice x100 is a great add to your collection!  

P.S. Damn there's allot of BS now days.   :mad:

Anybody who starts an uncontrolled fire with either a box of matches, and/or a laser, in their own house no less, should be kept in a padded room.   ::)

Edit: IF it were to catch the bed on fire, you could put it out with your finger, or tongue even.  BrewCityMusic, have you ever started a fire?? (fire place or bonfire?) Obviously you're a pyrophobe!  ;D