Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

X-ray lasers from tabletop device

Benm

I'd like to read the materials and methods section from the publication first though. Lets see what it actually took to achieve these results.

I'd like to read the materials and methods section from the publication first though. Lets see what it actually took to achieve these results.

Link:

Imaging the nanoworld: Physicists use ultrafast lasers to create first tabletop x-ray device
Optics InfoBase: Optics Letters - Generation of hard x rays by femtosecond laser pulse interaction with solid targets in atmosphere
http://www.nims.go.jp/xray/ref/Vol.34No.4p621-626.pdf

Uses a Femtosecond IR laser pulsed into an atmosphere of He. Helium atoms when given a 1.6KeV pulse of energy respond in turn by producing a wide range of outputs including those into the 11.7nm range. Ultrahard UV. Technically Soft X-rays start around 10nm. 11.7nm is pretty darned close to Xray output. (I think I have oversimplified the process somewhat), but you get the idea.

There you have it. I bet you the laser they're using is a Femtosecond Sapphire as well.