Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTF is with PL?

None of it makes sense. It's nothing more than a paranoid impulsive action aimed mostly at protecting their income under the guise of protecting the world from itself.

If these exciting times affect peoples livelihood, that sucks. They need to do what any other self-respecting business person would do in such a situation: Find a way to adapt (and profit) and continue on their merry way. If they cannot adapt, then they fall by the wayside. That's how business works, especially when dealing with technology.

There is no stopping this knowledge. Now that laser-based display technology is coming into it's own, I believe it represents the future of the laser hobby. Anyone who would selfishly act to prohibit the spread of knowledge and limit access to harvested parts is acting against the laser hobbyist community as a whole, which BY FAR makes up the largest public source of innovation, knowledge and expertise regarding lasers. Laser professionals make up only a small minority, and are often limited in the expertise and innovation they can share without encroaching on IP, patents and copyrights. My own interests lie solely in preserving the responsible hobbyist's right and ability to use these new technologies. If I have to piss a few money-grubbers off in the process, so be it.

Almost any time in life in situations like these, if you dig deep enough you find that money is the root cause.

Last edited:

I don't think it's "money grubbing" to want to make a living actually using laser beams for entertainment purposes? They don't grub much money out of it. Every time a laser's used irresponsibly, it smears their business unfairly. It also smears the responsible hobbyists here. But those here are generally not affected financially. That changes your perspective quite a bit.

Dave is selling diodes. Not to drag him into this, but I believe he is also a PL member.

Also... I hope I did not take offend. I do see your point. I simply stated that the companies you posted were indeed doing buss. on this forum as well. No foul intended. :)

You won't see any old timers or new members selling the diodes anymore because it has been banned over there. They pulled all the sale threads. Have you been paying any attention to anything that has been written here? They are holding back the sale of the diodes. They are also holding back the fact that they are doing so. They don't want the forum members to know that they aren't allowing the sale. These are facts. Not paranoia.

You guys have such chips on your shoulders that strikes me as an inferiorty complex and your creating conspiracies where there is none ... you either understand the implications and accept that the owners doing what he thinks is best long term... its his choice

I have not seen any OLD TIMERS or anyone selling diodes since the fuss started ... and the 445nm forum is back up and running with information being shared at detailed level , theres nothing being held back that i know of so your just showing yourselves up as chip on yer shoulder unreasonable paraniod moaners just looking for something to complain about YAWN

Yup, you're right.. ;)

I don't think that Admin is the one to worry about here.. if anything his actions in restoring the 445nm section GO AGAINST what some other members there would like to see (note the legal reference right there at the section header).. but I've already said that. Perhaps you have trouble reading?

Last edited:
I don't think it's "money grubbing" to want to make a living actually using laser beams for entertainment purposes? They don't grub much money out of it. Every time a laser's used irresponsibly, it smears their business unfairly. It also smears the responsible hobbyists here. But those here are generally not affected financially. That changes your perspective quite a bit.

You don't have to explain making money to me. I do business every single day. I still have absolutely no sympathy for these particular "laser professionals" because I do not agree with some of the actions I've seen them take. There is clearly a rift between the professionals and the hobbyists, and I know which side I stand on. You expect me to see through their eyes, but I can't and won't. None of them have ANY right to try to dictate to the community at large how this game is to be played. Period. This isn't about the obvious safety implications and it isn't about irresponsible people. It's about people abusing their influence for the purposes of overstepping their bounds.

If something happened that threatened my livelihood, then it is up to me to find a way to adapt or die. This does not include trying to stifle public knowledge and access to technology in my own selfish interests..

People talk so much about all these irresponsible laser users, but the scenario parallels several other commonly found situations. Irresponsible people make up but a small percentage of every population. They will always be there trying to screw things up for everyone. Here in my country, we don't believe that is grounds for blanket action that affects the whole population except in extreme cases. This is not an extreme case, in fact the people responsible for accidents and aircraft-shootings, while rising due to the growth of the community, still represent a very small percentage of laser enthusiasts. People then post about it with full-on sensationalism. I do not think that the time has come for blanket action, but some of the folks over at PL have taken it upon themselves to make the rules. The government is the only entity that has the right to block access. When they feel it is time, they will act and I will obey. It's as simple as that. Anyone who uses their industry connections for the purposes of acting on their own to limit everyone including the responsible people is out of line. It is not their place and I will not submit to their "rules".

To be COMPLETELY clear here, my argument is NOT directed at all laser professionals. Many of them have stepped up and promoted the spread of knowledge pertaining to proper usage and safety with regard to these new diodes. They are to be highly commended for keeping their focus in the right direction without allowing their financial concerns to pollute the issue.

Fortunately for all one of Olivia's previous statements is quite true. Realistically, what CAN be done? Nothing.. It was PMs I've had with certain people trying to sway me to support their side of things that has gotten me all fired up about this. It's very unlikely that they will succeed in blocking anything.

Last edited: