Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB LPM + Thank you Alaskan

The LPM I sent him came direct from an ebay seller, I never had my hands on it, just had it shipped directly to Alex. I took a chance it might not work as the seller didn't know, or maybe they did.... So it might be a basket case.

The LPM I sent him came direct from an ebay seller, I never had my hands on it, just had it shipped directly to Alex. I took a chance it might not work as the seller didn't know, or maybe they did.... So it might be a basket case.

Yep. I had a go at the LPM when it got to me, all the switches work fine and there is a little red indicator which shows the unit is on and working! The needle on the display also seems to work fine, but even with my highest powered laser(my 532) I couldn't get it to move an inch so a higher powered laser may do the trick! :)

-Alex

I think there is something wrong with it, it is supposed to read down to a single mw.

I think there is something wrong with it, it is supposed to read down to a single mw.

Hum....maybe it was set incorrectly? There is a dial which shows number from 0.0001/0.001/0.01/0.1 etc and it was set on 1. Maybe that could indicate it was reading by 100mW & not 1mW's?

The dial itself I didn't manage to turn, it seems stuck in that position.

-Alex

I don't have this model myself, but am guessing 1 is for 1 watt, for your 532nm 50mw pointer, I'd set it to .1 which would be 100mw full scale, or "10" for 100mw. If set to .1, then I believe 50 mw would read as "5" on the scale. To read your 4mw pointer, set it to .01 and it will read "4" on the scale, a full "10" wold be 10mw when set to the .01 position. Also, make sure the toggle switch is set to watts and not joules. Before pointing the laser into the sensor, use the knob to zero the meter, or set the needle on zero.

I should have made this clear to you, my generation is more analog than digital, so all of this is second nature to me but for you, it can probably be confusing when you are used to a digital readout for everything. I prefer analog meters to digital for several reasons myself. If this meter is working, don't set it to .001 and then shine your 4mw laser into it, the meter will peg hard all the way to the right due to being set far too sensitive, at that setting one milliwatt will be a "10" on the rightmost end of the scale. This meter can read all the way up to 10 watts of power if set to "10" with the knob. Maybe it isn't dead after all?

I consider this old analog LPM a real gem myself, someday I will buy one to add to my collection of LPM's. IF this is working, this is far better than any LaserBee LPM by a wide margin, except for being so large and requiring AC power. I tried to measure a 4 mw laser with my LaserBee and it isn't accurate at that low of an input, I found mine is reading about 1.5 mw low, but due to being digital, you will never be able to resolve that half a mw out because its between digits, with a LaserBee there aren't enough digits to accurately read low power. With a working meter like this, you will never have that problem.

I don't know what to suggest if the knob is stuck in the 1 position. Even so, your 50-75mw 532nm pointer should read somewhere between zero and 1, 1 being 100 mw, each tick below 1 representing 10 mw, as long as you have zero'd the meter first.

072545b4-f207-4a62-8365-853288e4c111_zpscm1i77c6.jpg

Last edited:

gozert

Good to see you gave it away Alex! Congrats to whoever got it. I wanted to get myself a Laserbee, but the ridiculous 75$ shipping cost made me decide to get something else, even if it's more expensive. I hate companies that overcharge shipping costs to make a bit more money.

I don't have this model myself, but am guessing 1 is for 1 watt, for your 532nm 50mw pointer, I'd set it to .1 which would be 100mw. If set to .1, then I believe 50 mw would read as "5" on the scale. To read your 4mw pointer, set it to .01 and it will read "4" on the scale, a full "10" wold be 10mw when set to the .01 position. Also, make sure the toggle switch is set to watts and not joules. Before pointing the laser into the sensor, use the knob to zero the meter, or set the needle on zero.

I can't turn the dial that's the problem. It's stuck on "1" :(

@gozert

Yeah haha $75 is quite a lot. It turns out the 510nm PGL is $600 and not $280 which is strange since they sent an email at that price, oh well. Not sure what to get for my lasers with $200....

There are tons of things I could use, a smoke machine, LPM, more wavelengths ugh lol.

Any advice?

Edit: I think I found a good cheap fog machine, which also comes with fog juice:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002D0JX8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

-Alex

Last edited:

gozert

I can't turn the dial that's the problem. It's stuck on "1" :(

@gozert

Yeah haha $75 is quite a lot. It turns out the 510nm PGL is $600 and not $280 which is strange since they sent an email at that price, oh well. Not sure what to get for my lasers with $200....

There are tons of things I could use, a smoke machine, LPM, more wavelengths ugh lol.

Any advice?

-Alex

Not sure what wavelengths you can get in that host for 200$. Don't get a smoke machine though. Just roll up a piece of toilet paper and set it on fire, it'll keep smoking for quite a long time. Usually one piece is enough for me to cover my whole room.

Open the box and look inside to see if you can determine the problem why it is stuck...

I edited this in to my previous post:

Stuck in the 1 position, even so, your 50-75mw 532nm pointer should read somewhere between zero and 1, 1 being 100 mw, each tick below 1 representing 10 mw, as long as you have zero'd the meter first.

Last edited:
Not sure what wavelengths you can get in that host for 200$. Don't get a smoke machine though. Just roll up a piece of toilet paper and set it on fire, it'll keep smoking for quite a long time. Usually one piece is enough for me to cover my whole room.

Haha that's pretty neat! The one I linked to comes with 1 gal of fog Juice for a grand total of $48(with tax). I want a smoke machine so I can set one up in my room & see the different shades more easily!

The toilet paper idea is neat, but with the rate I turn my lasers on we will be at the store every day buying more ;)

-Alex

Open the box and look inside to see if you can determine the problem why it is stuck...

I edited this in to my previous post:

Stuck in the 1 position, even so, your 50-75mw 532nm pointer should read somewhere between zero and 1, 1 being 100 mw, each tick below 1 representing 10 mw, as long as you have zero'd the meter first.

I don't own a 50-75mW 532, my highest powered one is 4.4mW. I would really like to open the LPM but I already have it back in it's bubble wrap & sealed tight. I don't want to mess with it & accidentally break anything :eek:

-Alex

Oh my bad, I thought you had a 303 or something like that, oh well. What LPM are you looking to buy which will accurately read 4 mw?

Oh my bad, I thought you had a 303 or something like that, oh well. What LPM are you looking to buy which will accurately read 4 mw?

Not a problem :)

I saw some laserbee meters for $150 but was told that won't measure <5mW accurately. The Radiant one looks great but then again, out of stock. Im still searching around currently, debating on wether an LPM or a fog machine.

-Alex

I vote LPM :)

Haha! I decided in the end to get a fog machine with the reasoning that I buy my lasers for the wavelength, not power. Saying this, being able to see their beam will make these little guys even more impressive! :)

-Alex