Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: LOW divergence laser

Hi,
I am more into lasers that have low divergence and high duty cycles rather than the burning type. I am willing to spend up to $250 for a high quality 1.2mrad or lower 532nm laser pointer. The host isnt quite as important, although the larger the heatsink the better. Hoping to be able to get somewhere around 200-300mw for this price. I am subscribed to the thread so either replying or PM's are the best way to contact me. Thanks for any help!!

Eric

Low divergence doesn't come cheap.

Optotronics sells the RPL portable lasers, which can have up to 0.9mRad divergence. However, they aren't exactly cheap and can't be had for $250.

If beam diameter doesn't matter, you can buy a DragonLasers beam expander to fit your Viper. The 10x beam expander will reduce your divergence by 10x, while increasing beam diameter by the same amount.

Good point, I already have the viper beam expander and I do like it, however the power loss through the glass is noticeable. Plus I prefer the crisp, small beam diameter.

So are there no DIY modules with low divergence? The RPLs are awesome, but I'd prefer more power for the money. Maybe I am asking too much...

With some modification, you can get the divergence of your Viper to less than 1.0mRad.

I have modified my NOVA X150 (150mW version of the Viper) and I am getting ~0.7mRad. Beam diameter is about 2.2mm.
An additional concave lens is used in the collimating assembly.
I didn't have a lens with the proper coating on hand, so I am using a lens coated for violet. Loss to optics is approximately 4%.