Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: laser diode extractor tools

Does anybody sell laser diode extractor tools nowadays? I know flaminpyro used to sell them but I guess he doesn't come here anymore. Multiple people have pointed me to DTR but I don't see any on his site.

I really need a 5.6mm diode extractor, but I'd be also interested in 3.8mm and 9mm sets. I'd rather not take a hacksaw to the 375nm laser unit I'm currently tearing down.

The sad thing is that I think I have a full set somewhere, buried who knows how deep in a pile of electronics junk. :eek:

Edit: geez I've been here 12 years now???

You can send FP a message and tell him everything you want, it may take him a week or more to respond as he's not around daily, also you should check with DTR and see if he has them on hand now and I bet Rich/lifetime17 could make you a set as well.

I finally got the TO-18 and TO-5 extraction tools awhile back. The TO-5 came from Jeff, BowtieGuy. He has access to a lathe and made one for me. I really don't know of anyone selling these any longer. Too bad. They are very necessary when the time comes to take a working diode out of a module.

I would be happy to remove the one you have for you, Anthony. That may be more of a hassle for you than it is worth. If you are interested, let me know.

If no one can do them for you, send me a request,i also had a set for myself and I learned how to create them

reloader45

Hello,

what kind of extractors are needed.

Maybe I make one today for the DTR heat sinks.
It will be a brass Adapter that fits the 9*0,5mm threads of the copper heat sink, with an inner thread and a steel press screw.
This will work with 3,8mm diodes and 5,6mm diodes, but not with the 9 mm diodes.

best regards

Edgar

Edgar, these extractors work by having a shell that fits around the diode's emitter and only pushes on the outer rim of the diode. They cannot push on the diode's window or emitter as that would cause damage. So, you can't have a single extractor for more than one size.

reloader45

Hello Paul,

yes I can do it with one adapter and two pushing screws.
Until now, I had only dead diodes to push out, that was very easy.

Best regards

Edgar

reloader45

Hello,

today I made an extractor for 5,6 mm diodes. The extractor will fit to the DTR copper modules. Sorry, that i could not test it, but i will not extract a running diode. But I am sure it will work.

extractor 3.jpgextractor 1.jpgextractor 2.jpg

best regards

Edgar

I see that you are calling the part that screws into the module the extractor. But, it is the part that pushes the diode out that actually does the extracting. That is all I was trying to say.