Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: Helical flash lamp

Yikes! That's gotta hurt. They aren't easy to find or cheap when you do. Sorry, I don't have one.

Well, why did you do that? I saw one on ebay a couple of months ago, but they don't turn up very often. If you were going to use it for a laser cavity, isn't there another option using straight tubes?

A straight xenon flash tube would be more accessible and, therefore, probably cheaper too. It could be placed in an elliptical cavity with the flash tube and laser crystal placed at the two foci.

I've read somewhere elliptical cavities with straight tubes are more efficient anyway.

How? I don't think it is wise to look at them when firing. I hope you are able to find another one.

They're pretty dangerous to just have sitting around. many (but not all) Xenon lamps are under high pressure and explode violently when they break depending on the model. Helical models are not as common as straight ones, and neither are cheap. If you just want it for giggles, watch ebay for one. That's about your only option unless you want to spend huge amounts of money. New Xenon lamps range often from several hundred dollars to several thousand per lamp, depending on the size.

diachi

They're pretty dangerous to just have sitting around. many (but not all) Xenon lamps are under high pressure and explode violently when they break depending on the model. Helical models are not as common as straight ones, and neither are cheap. If you just want it for giggles, watch ebay for one. That's about your only option unless you want to spend huge amounts of money. New Xenon lamps range often from several hundred dollars to several thousand per lamp, depending on the size.

I thought flash lamps were low pressure? Isn't it *arc* lamps that are high pressure - and generally linear too, I've yet to see a helical *arc* lamp.

An arc lamp is a flashlamp. Or rather a flashlamp is a type of arc lamp, set apart by its intended use and construction. there are lots of different kinds constructed for different purposes. The biggest things that differentiate them are the amount of pressure, and the size and shape and composition of the electrodes.

It's all about the duty cycle vs construction. The higher gas pressure allows for better efficiency and less wear on the eletrodes.

Short arcs typically have the highest pressure, as they are run continuously.

Long arc lamps, it depends on design and intent. It can vary quite widely depending on what the lamp is made to do. Some are CW some QCW, some are flash only. Usually based on energy and cooling employed.

It's quite complex and hard to sum up in just a single little post like this. Usually the number one failures of most lamps is from ablation of the electrodes, causes gas loss and darkening of the lamp, which causes the lamp to run hotter and microfracture. This is why they usually have a rated number of flashes or run time listed. The longer it is run, the weaker that the structure of the lamp becomes. Making it even more brittle to handle. Eventually inevitably leading to what is usually a rather "violent rapid disassembly of the lamp" to put it lightly... :) :(

Modern arc lamps are actually a marvel of engineering. And they contain a lot of very expensive exotic precision made materials in their construction.

Last edited: