Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: Full colour driver extension

Plan B

So I stayed up most of the night trying to teach myself how to read and write electrical schematics and then spent most of the day trying to figure out this circuit and draw up the image below. Now I’m VERY new to electronics so please be kind but if you find some mistakes and can help me figure out where I went wrong I’d love to hear it.

attachment.php

Please ignore the pin out and part number for the PIC chip as I couldn’t find the correct one in my component directory. I’ve planned for a preprogramed chip with a unknown part number like the one awlego posted (Thx Mate and thx for the pics Tyson). I’m having a little confusion about the proper connections on the pot and LM317. I’ve seen diagrams that have it set up as I do but have also seen the center pin on the pot connected to the negative side of the pot. Other diagrams have the pot and fixed resistors connected to the out pin on the LM317 and not the adjust pin. I’m not sure what is correct but I’m wondering if in both cases, possibly either method works?

In the near future I hope to build and test this but I hoping not to spend a bunch of money on parts and shipping only to find out they are incompatible in my application. Right now I can’t see a reason why this circuit wouldn’t work. Please let me know your thoughts on it.

Cheers,
Plan

Attachments

• RGB LASER DRIVER.JPG
    RGB LASER DRIVER.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 784

Awesome schematic! Thanks for doing that. I think it will be very helpful as nobody seems to have a full colour driver extension anymore. Hopefully the electronics experts can provide some input.

AAlasers

Plan B

Thx AA! I do hope it's helpful for those who are trying to come up with something similar to the FML driver. I've had some fun with it and have learned a few things along the way. And yes, it would be nice to get some feedback from those in the know. Maybe I should start a separate thread for this circuit in the experiments section.

After getting some sleep and clearing some cobwebs I think I have the LM317 driver circuit figured. Common sense today tells me the pot should come off the 317 output with the adjust tied in after it and the resisters to monitor current. My sense ain't always that common though, so it may still be wrong.

attachment.php

Attachments

• RGB LASER DRIVER.JPG
    RGB LASER DRIVER.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,724