Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: Full colour driver extension

Hi everyone! I am in need of a full colour driver extension for the white fusion laser build. I am open to all reasonable offers.

My requirements are:
-fully functional or brand new
-little to no use
-from a reputable member
-wires pre-soldered is preferable
-All accessories pertaining to it is preferable (buttons, wires) but not needed.

PM me offers.

AAlasers

Plan B

I didn't know you could still get that white fusion kit. I've read a little on it and it looks to be pretty amazing when done. What diodes / mW are you planing on using?

Have you seen this?

RGB TRIPLE LASER DIODE DRIVER w/TTL-Analog Mod DIY KIT - eBay (item 260738497709 end time Feb-22-11 20:08:35 PST)

Probably not what your looking for. It's pretty big, it's a kit and it doesn't have the micro-controller for built in effects like the awesome one's FireMyLaser used to make.

Maybe the electronics gods can shed some light on a thought I had. Would it be possible to use the outputs of a RGB LED driver to power three matching but individually set, laser drivers for each diode/module?

Last edited:

Kevlar

Try PMing flaminpyro. I believe he took over the White Fusion Kit so he might know about the full color drivers. I think he is very busy but other than a member having one sitting around that is willing to sell it, FP is your best bet. :yh:

awlego

I also recommend trying to make your own... it's quite rewarding when you finally figure out how to make your own full color driver, especially when with all the effects ;)

I believe that Flaminpyro is only building white fusion kits. As for building my own, what kind of micro-controllers would I need to modulate the lasers as the full colour driver extension does? I also don't think that an LED driver would work. Laser diodes are too sensitive to voltage spikes, whereas leds are not.

Kevlar

I would love to build one of these as well. Does anyone have a schematic? I asked FireMyLaser, he said he doesn't have one. :cryyy:

I would love to build one of these as well. Does anyone have a schematic? I asked FireMyLaser, he said he doesn't have one. :cryyy:
I have a fml driver i could take pictures of it for you if that would help?

@AAlasers Sorry i cant help you on this one but these drivers are extremely hard to come by.

Kevlar

If you wouldn't mind, that would be great! Thanks ty. There are some pics in the original thread but more might be helpful.

Plan B

I also don't think that an LED driver would work. Laser diodes are too sensitive to voltage spikes, whereas leds are not.

I understand and agree that hooking your LD's right up to an LED drive would be a recipe for disaster. What I'm wondering is if you could use the led effect driver to power 3 individual laser drivers (say flexmod or LM317) and have those safely power your diodes/green module? With some circuit board, parts from the led kit, some parts for LM317's and some reverse engineering, could you build a driver very similar in form and function to FML's?

Last edited:

awlego

I don't have a schematic drawn up, but it's just 3 Lm317 circuits that are switched on and off by transistors. The transistors are controlled by a integrated circuit. Now I don't know for sure, but the RGB CONTROLLER CHIP
from bigclive.com appears to be the one FML used in his circuit. I also used in in the one I designed and it works great.

Hope that helps.
-Alex

Kevlar

I don't have a schematic drawn up, but it's just 3 Lm317 circuits that are switched on and off by transistors. The transistors are controlled by a integrated circuit. Now I don't know for sure, but the RGB CONTROLLER CHIP
from bigclive.com appears to be the one FML used in his circuit. I also used in in the one I designed and it works great.

Hope that helps.
-Alex

Yeah! That helps a lot!! Thanks. I have no problems with the 3XLM317 drivers it's the integrated circuit I've never dealt with.

I understand and agree that hooking your LD's right up to an LED drive would be a recipe for disaster. What I'm wondering is if you could use the led effect driver to power 3 individual laser drivers (say flexmod or LM317) and have those safely power your diodes/green module? With some circuit board, parts from the led kit, some parts for LM317's and some reverse engineering, could you build a driver very similar in form and function to FML's?

I believe that would not work all that well. A driver circuit is designed to remove voltage and amperage spikes, to protect the laser diode. Unless the led driver would steadily change the amount of power supplied, rather than pulsing it, than it would probably not work. I, however, am not an electronics expert. I would suggest asking some more members who are more knowledgeable on such things. Nonetheless, your idea is worth a shot. Let me know what happens if you do try it out.

awlego

Yeah! That helps a lot!! Thanks. I have no problems with the 3XLM317 drivers it's the integrated circuit I've never dealt with.

The site explains it pretty well, but here's the basics:

You apply power to the IC.
You can change the modes (different color patterns, flashing, etc) with the use of two buttons (see IC diagram on the Big Clive site for pinouts)
Then the IC will output a voltage to the various pins (one for R, G, and B).
That voltage is used to turn the transistors on and off. The transistors act as your "on-off" switches for your Lm317 circuits which supply the correct power to each laser. Thus the IC can control each laser. It changes the power through PWM control, which is basically just pulsing the laser on and off really fast to make it appear dimmer.

Note: pick transistors that can handle the power output of your LM317 circuits... I would recommend high power MOSFETs that can handle several amps.

Sorry it took so long to upload pics but my computer kept crashing. Hope these help.
dsc0119he.jpg

dsc0123e.jpg

dsc0124oga.jpg

dsc0122ct.jpg

dsc0121q.jpg

Kevlar

Thanks for the suggestions and tips guys. :beer: I'm going to have to look more into the ICs