Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB 2 identical custom 2 Watt lasers for project.

Ok so here is the deal. I need a custom build and here are the specifications I need.

Must be as light as possible, but also have a good duty cycle.
I need these to be able to run off of a wall outlet so I would
like for most of the host to be detachable and have the spring
sticking out for an alligator clip to latch onto and an easy metal
contact for the other clip as well. With most of the host detachable
it should be pretty light, but still have a decent heat sink.
It needs to be focus-able of course with a simple knob on the lens
as usual build have. It needs to be at least 2W and I need the lens
that has the best beam profile. (I think the G1, although allows more
power, has a worse precise pinpoint focusing). I need a a very tight
pinpoint of focus as both lasers will be aligned to focus on the same point
using automatic control systems. The lasers don't have to look snazzy
since I don't want to spend $250 on each. Just simple, sleek looking, thin
design. I think that is all. So I would need two of these and I am willing to pay up to $400.

Or if you someone already has some lasers they think match this description then let me know. Weight is the biggest factor.
I had someone mention Blord was good at building custom lasers, but I thought I'd bring it up here
to see what else you builders might be able to do first.
Any other questions just let me know. I would really
appreciate any suggestions.

Didn't sound bad until you said "automatic control system." That's not going to happen with 2 high power blues for under $400.

It is not what you think. It is just part of an arduino project. Lasers will be attached to servos that do all the control. Nevertheless, it doesn't matter all that much what I do with them as long as they are within my specs.

What will your distance be?
at 10in a G1 would be better,
but at 10ft a 3 element may be better

Is the "Convertible" aspect really nessasary?
What I mean is instead of using a flashlight style laser,
if you had a lab style laser made with a fan,
you could have a lighter laser, with an unlimited duty cycle.

Last edited:
Distance will be between 6 inches and 3 feet.

I was not aware I could get a laser in lab form lighter than a host and for less than $200.
Are these something that someone can build or are on a site?

I might still want regular hosts though because I may want to use them portable as well
and on my project I want to be able to switch out different colors
and I have those already in regular hosts.

I'm going to bump this. I thought I had somebody making these for me, but I haven't heard anything back. I do think I want lab lasers now. Just a couple of identical, lightweight, small size 2W lab lasers. Can someone build these?

I'm going to bump this. I thought I had somebody making these for me, but I haven't heard anything back. I do think I want lab lasers now. Just a couple of identical, lightweight, small size 2W lab lasers. Can someone build these?

Maybe not as cheaply as you could buy them- AixiZ Lasers.com may have what you want in 445 mini labbies -- just not 2W--

take great care with gator clips- they are NOT ideal connectors- can become unattached and short out-

just like your Pl-E 532/600.
JETLASERS makes 1.5 W 445 PL-Es with a simple place to plug in their 10$ wall warts- the tailcap and battery are not needed to run one and the duty cycle is a longish one. Very slick internal focusing-

light weight ( w/o the 26650 Kingkong battery)- and a pair of them would set you back around $640 with shipping and batteries IF you went through me. Closer to $780+ at jetlasers.org AS YOU KNOW>>These are NOT flashlight hosts btw.
Nobody else sells PL-Es.:beer:

Last edited:
Aixiz has a 800mW OEM and a 350-1000mW. It would be really nice if I could get one that is at least 1.5W. Well if a quality lab lasers can't be that cheap, then I would go back to a regular host, but a cube-shaped one would be good. Small, compact, easy access to connectors inside to attach clips.
Hak, what would you suggest besides some alligator clips? Just soldering some metal clips on? And the PL-E won't be light enough. That is huge and heavy compared to what I need.

^^^
@ Slick
I wanted to power an old pointer from a wallwart or a bigger battery and so to make a good and safe connection to the front spring I simply made a wooded dummy battery from a dowel and drilled a hole- screwed in a screw with insulated wire attached to make the connection-- I tried magnets but they have a mind of their own and if not careful you can short your power source if they get close enough together to connect( done that once and I was surprised how fast a fully charged 26650 KingKong can heat up a wire - it was instant. )

That would be a good idea if I need to do that. I would hope to have a short enough laser host where the spring is coming out of the laser. I had an old O-like green torch and the host can be unscrewed in the middle exposing the spring and part of the driver.

Does anybody have experience with either of the lab lasers? One from O-Like and another from Aixiz. The O-like one is smaller and a good amount less expensive, but worried about it's max output as it says only up to 800mW, but can be pushed higher I think. Same with the Aixiz. I might be able to get away with 1W for each, but it is not preferable.

445nm 455nm 350-1000mw adjustable laser module analog modulation, AixiZ

Real 1W 445nm laser module/focusable/TTL [OL-445-1W] - $146.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce