Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wow

thedoc8

Just getting into this as a new hobby, ordered a diode and found a thing you put the diode in with a g2 lens. It was a piece of crap, could not screw together or unscrew, it was thin and and had a cheep chrome outer that just slid off. Only reason I ordered was it was all I could find. You all gave me some links to a dude that had copper ones. I ordered a couple and they were premium and top notch and +10 threads at over half the price of the other pos. I sent it back, mainly cause it would not screw together. Thanks again for this site. I still can't believe the quality for price.

happy to help

you want a blank module (3.8 or 5.6 or 9 mm diode sizes)

The cheapy AixiZ modules are fine for low power and little heat.
The Ally kind and the copper each have their strong points
There are tools made for pressing these (sometimes very expensive) diodes PROPERLY.
Some make their own presses.
. the diodes are very thin.
easy to mess one up.
Lots here just buy one that already has the diode pressed with soldered IN the heatsink AND also if you want
the driver can be added already set to your choice on mA--see DTR and several other vets here

number 'one fail' for first timers is (aside from physical damage) is an ESD --invisible static even from a finger can kill a diode and most have no clue. WTH happened--??
...search ESD Precautions.

Soldering stations/irons etc /Meters etc must be grounded-- ONCE powered up --even for a very short 'test'...... the diode's drivers caps will have a charge that can kill a diode-SHORT CAPS .....some start with lesser expensive parts-- the pain is less when you have some 'fails' you will learn,,,

hope that helped.

hak

Those inexpensive "chrome" modules are actually nickle plated brass. I carry a few for people who don't want to pay the ~$8.00 for a copper DTR module. You can find decent ones on eBay for as little as $2.00 each.

thedoc8

Thanks for all the tips. I have been a consumer electronics repair for over 30 years. And now I will practice ESD, don't want to lose any of these little jewels. I find them fascinating. I am very asinine when doing safe handling of solid state goodies. I have found much stuff that I did not know on this site, so new learning is much fun. Later and thanks.

Reactions: GSS
Yes, my workbench mat is ESD ground protected and I also have a grounded wrist strap. We don't get much electrostatic discharge where I live, but better safe than sorry.

Reactions: GSS

thedoc8

Thanks for all the tips. I have been a consumer electronics repair for over 30 years. And now I will practice ESD, don't want to lose any of these little jewels. I find them fascinating. I am very asinine when doing safe handling of solid state goodies. I have found much stuff that I did not know on this site, so new learning is much fun. Later and thanks.

Even losing a 10 dollar diode makes me sick, not because of the money but the, what did I do wrong and like everyone hear, I don't like to lose. :)