Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Would these goggles do the job?

I physically Cannot afford to buy lots of expensive ones!!
Isn't it better to buy lots of cheaper ones for all my friends/family to wear rather than just buy one eagle pair to protect just my own eyes?

I physically Cannot afford to buy lots of expensive ones!!
Isn't it better to buy lots of cheaper ones for all my friends/family to wear rather than just buy one eagle pair to protect just my own eyes?

If you do that , you'll be taking chance that when the beam reflects off a relatively reflective surface such as glossed finishes or metal or just white surface.
Their eyes are going to eat it.
You choice.
However, if you plan to only show off your laser outdoors . Then googles isn't really necessary so as long as you keep the level of your laser at or above the horizon .

Indoors usage... don't take any chances.

Thanks for your information and help.
I would mainly use the laser outside, but I want to get goggles anyway.
Surely the cheap ones would at least prevent permanent damage to eyes, I mean they are advertised as safety goggles so would they work OK? Its not like a 1000mw laser it can't light a match....

Thankyou!

thats what i did. i have two nice pairs for me and then cheaper ones for friends. i tell them straight up, these will be better than nothing but i cant promise your eyes are safe......leave it up to them if they still want to see my laser or not.

i had two people disregard the glasses completely and im like no, cant do that, you dont get to see it now

when i get the money i may buy more but just dont want to, rather invest in lasers. if my friends want to see them then they can use the cheaper pairs or invest in their own. not being a jerk to them but i dont want to be liable for their eyes

thats what i did. i have two nice pairs for me and then cheaper ones for friends. i tell them straight up, these will be better than nothing but i cant promise your eyes are safe......leave it up to them if they still want to see my laser or not.

i had two people disregard the glasses completely and im like no, cant do that, you dont get to see it now

when i get the money i may buy more but just dont want to, rather invest in lasers. if my friends want to see them then they can use the cheaper pairs or invest in their own. not being a jerk to them but i dont want to be liable for their eyes

don't tell me you are showing them that indoors :O

occasionally.......the glasses i have are tested by myself and do block most (95-97%) of the 445nm-532nm but they are not certified, hence why i cant promise them absolute safety like i can myself with eagle pair. i havent tested them on 405nm since i dont have a good one to test with. im not a jerk, i wouldnt put my friends in danger and dont show the 445nm indoors.

Stin

Thanks for your information and help.
I would mainly use the laser outside, but I want to get goggles anyway.
Surely the cheap ones would at least prevent permanent damage to eyes, I mean they are advertised as safety goggles so would they work OK? Its not like a 1000mw laser it can't light a match....

Thankyou!

I'm just play devil's advocate (and trying to keep your eyes in working condition) , but although some cheap glasses can work it doesn't mean they work well. Since they aren't certified they is no way of knowing for sure. Let's say it cuts your laser power down to 10mW (and that's not including IR for greens, which will go right through). It will still damage your eye to some extent. And just looking through a reddish film will have the same effect, but it will in no way protect your eyes, just diminish the intensity (looks-wise) of the beam.

I believe that I got my 3 Eagle pair for $90 shipped from Jetlasers. Gray sent them out very fast and they work great. Granted this was a few years ago so prices could have changed. I made sure that I had safety glasses before I even had a high powered laser. (I almost spent more on the glasses than on my first high-power laser)

I'd recommend saving up for something but in the meantime read some reviews on safety glasses that are posted on this forum to give you a better idea. I cannot decide for you.