Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Would appreciate some advice!

Hello everyone,

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to lasers, so I thought this seemed like a good place to go for advice!

I work at a science education centre in the UK, and I'm looking to purchase a laser that can pop an appropriately-coloured balloon from about 20m away (but that won't pop a white balloon or one the same colour as the laser).

I would ideally like to receive the laser within 2 weeks (less would be even better!), but definitely within the month.

DragonLasers seemed to be well regarded in this forum's list of companies, so I wonder if the Spartan 200mW 532nm would be able to meet my needs:

LINK

Would it need some kind of focusing lens to be able to pop balloons from the distance I was mentioning?

If anyone has any other suggestions or retailers they could reccommend - I'd appreciate the advice!

I think you need 1 watt violet laser pointer ( BDR-209 diode) a suitable price ,you can also choose 1w 532nm but the price will be very expensive.

Thanks for your advice. Are you advising a 1W laser because of the 20m distance, or to pop balloons in general? If needed, I could pop them close-up!

If you want to pop balloons near, I think you only need 70mw + green laser with convergent beams.And I forgot to mention that you should write a self introductory topic, that is necessary

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to lasers, so I thought this seemed like a good place to go for advice!

I work at a science education centre in the UK, and I'm looking to purchase a laser that can pop an appropriately-coloured balloon from about 20m away (but that won't pop a white balloon or one the same colour as the laser).

I would ideally like to receive the laser within 2 weeks (less would be even better!), but definitely within the month.

DragonLasers seemed to be well regarded in this forum's list of companies, so I wonder if the Spartan 200mW 532nm would be able to meet my needs:

LINK

Would it need some kind of focusing lens to be able to pop balloons from the distance I was mentioning?

If anyone has any other suggestions or retailers they could reccommend - I'd appreciate the advice!

Be aware that you need protective eye glasses that will attenuate any diffuse and/or specular radiation, also be aware of your local laser laws, if you plan to pop balloons for spectators they must also wear laser safety glasses.

Last edited:
Thanks again - I'll maybe go for the 200mW green laser I linked to and find the distance that works. I'll also post an introduction later on! :)

Edit - I've also looked into safety goggles as well, appreciate the safety advice for sure though, RedCowboy!

Last edited:
Popping balloons at 20 meters is not easy as most lasers powerful enough to do so are multi-mode diodes and diverge greatly at 66 feet. You will likely need a beam expander to focus the beam at that distance. Also, the UK has some pretty restrictive laws about laser pointers.

your first ever thread should have been mostly an intro with completed profile and the thread needed to be in the 'welcome' section---we wont remember 'UK' so add that into your profile if you expect correct help.. Odicforce sells kits in UK -any 405 near 100 mW WITH right focus will pop black balloons...wishing you good luck