Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Worried about IR from DX greenies

Hi guys, I am looking forward to purchasing a DX True 30mw and 50mw laser, possibly even a 100mw, and I am a little worried about the Ir that leaks through. I'm pretty new to lasers, and I want to know if my Wicked Laser 532nm goggles will protect me from the IR as well. Could you guys give me some information about these lasers, and how to protect myself from the IR? Thanks!!!

wicked goggles are not coated for IR, only 532nm

DX lasers up to the true 50 have IR filters, but above that they do not, if you're worried about IR then you shouldn't be buying from DX and if you do - stick to the true 50 and under

IgorT

You need to be more worried about the green hitting your eyes.

There really is not much IR leaking, and the little there is is highly divergent. At most it's like a medium power IR LED. Most of it is blocked by the build of the laser.

IR used to be much more of a problem, when crystals still had a much lower efficiency, and more powerful IR pumps had to be used. There the IR vs. green ratio was much higher.

There is an occasional laser, which has more IR leaking, than others, or at least that's what some people say. But i know many people were doing the tests completelly wrong, so the info might not be reliable.