Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WL Spyder 2 disassembly?

Nique

I've been trying to remove the front glass from my ageing Spyder 2 green laser for cleaning, but I can't budge it. I've tried moderate force, heating with a hair dryer, and tearing my hair out. Any ideas on how to rejuvenate this old classic?

Encap

Maybe someone glued it on? Should just unscrew would be my guess.

Nique

You're probably right about it being glued. If so it was done during production. Unless someone has a better idea I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get a proper heat gun and try again.

Encap

Probably best bet.
They may have some people from the old days still that know if it was OEM glued or not.
Maybe ask WL how to remove the front lens to clean it.

Try emailing support@wickedlasers.com Attn: Scott

These are threaded and glued in (5 threads on the lens holder) The host is also press fitted together. You will most likely NOT be able to remove the window without damage. I have sucessfully removed the lens window for one of these hosts, by clamping it in a vise and holding it with a large piece of leather and and giving it a twist. Solvent and heat/cooling did not help.

Last edited:

Nique

Well that's interesting, thanks! I have tried your method but all I succeeded in doing was some minor damage to the metal surround of the lens window with multi grips. I will try again using some leather or similar to better protect the host. I can tolerate a bit of damage because if I can't open it up, it's pretty much useless the way it is anyway.

Yup, it is possible to remove. It is only a few threads so if you can get it heated up with a heat gun, it might loosen the glue. I got the lens ring out without damage, its just the front ring that unscrews.

Reactions: GSS

Nique

Got it! Around 60 seconds of 500 degrees C with a heat gun and it came straight off, just a few threads as you said. No heat damage to the paint. Thanks for the various tips!

Reactions: GSS