Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

wiring a 30mW module with TTL

Hi,
I'm *not* very savvy wrt electronics, so please keep your responses simple!!!! I'm an astronomy demonstrator and have got a 30mW green laser module which I want to use to make a pointer. It has 3 wires coming from the board: a red, a black and a yellow. I guess the red and black are +ve and -ve respectively, so what do I do with the yellow wire? The only other specs I have is "Working current: <280mA @ 3V input "

TIA :)

Things

If it's a TTL module, the other wire needs to go to +5V.

Usually the cheap Chinese TTL modules will come on automatically without the TTL wire connected, have you tried just powering it up?

If you are powering it with 3V, just connect the other wire to the same power supply. 3V classifies as logic high.

Last edited:
tnx heaps, yeah I've tried just connecting to 3V batteries, but nothing. When you say connect the TTL to 3V, do you mean the +ve terminal of the same battery as the red wire?
TIA :)

tnx again Things, when I connect red and yellow to +ve and black to -ve, I still get nothing! Perhaps a dodgy cheapy from Ebay? What do you mean by a "link to the module"?

TIA

Rob :)

Things

Any info on the module itself/link to the eBay page etc/where you bought it.

Things

Yeah, unless they've somehow messed up the picture, or the green module is actually custom built into something that looks exactly like an aixiz module. Very unlikely it'll be a green diode.

On that note, if you don't seem to be getting anything from it, use your phone camera or any other camera to look at it, and see if it's putting out any light on the camera. If so, it's probably an IR laser, so be careful, you can blind yourself without even knowing it!