Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will this work?

Hello fellow LPF members,

I always wanted to build a 808nm laser and so I'm here to receive any feedback/help if my decision to buy the following parts would work:

Laser diode:

A 808nm 1W 9.0mm LD
808D 1000 TO5 9 0mm 1W 1000mW 808nm Infrared IR Laser Diode to 5 LD | eBay

They sent me a data spreadsheet for the specification of the LD attached:
http://imgur.com/up3AZEa

So I decided to get the rest of the parts from Survival Laser.

Host assembly parts:

-A S4 host
-1.25A driver
-Extended & tapered copper heat sink
-*Céramique*2*Thermal*Compound
-9.0mm copper module for LD
-Not forgetting a 9.0mm diode press-in from SL to press-in the LD into the copper module.

Lens:
3-element lens with focusing ring

My main question was:
If the host accepts 2x Rcr123A (4.2v fully charged * 2 = 8.4v) and the operating voltage stated in the data sheet for the LD is 2.0-2.3v, would the LD gets burned? Or will the driver regulate the voltage for me?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Encap

Contact Survival Lasers and see if they have a appropriate driver for your application.

That's a buck style driver (bucks off volts a tad) and if i remember the forward volts of ir diodes is fairly low.. like 2.3v. So a single cell would work... is this your first build? A laser can't perceive with your eyes is a very dangerous first build

Edit. I'm a skimmer.. a single 18650 should work.. but I built a 780? Nm awhile back and had to make the host case pos for it to work right

Last edited:

Contact Survival Lasers and see if they have a appropriate driver for your application.

Hi encap! Thanks! I have asked them before this and they recommended the following SL parts to me including the 1.25A driver :) I started this thread because I was worried if I missed out something as this is first high powered laser build

That's a buck style driver (bucks off volts a tad) and if i remember the forward volts of ir diodes is fairly low.. like 2.3v. So a single cell would work... is this your first build? A laser can't perceive with your eyes is a very dangerous first build

Edit. I'm a skimmer.. a single 18650 should work.. but I built a 780? Nm awhile back and had to make the host case pos for it to work right

Hi 10fenny, thanks for replying! By the way, how do you know if it is a buck driver or a boost driver? Yes this is one of my first real build and I know it's pretty silly to start off with IR but when it comes to safety, I'm won't be playing around.

Edit: Ah I read about the buck drivers in one of the Driver sections and I see that it would be ideal for my situation where my LD voltage drop is lower than my input supply! Thanks!

diachi

Did you remember to include laser safety glasses? You'll NEED lasersafety glasses for 808nm.

Terrible idea to start out with 808nm (And at 1W too!) - it's just about completely invisible but will damage your eyes in just the same way as high power visible laser would (except you know, you can't even see it coming).

Did you remember to include laser safety glasses? You'll NEED lasersafety glasses for 808nm.

Terrible idea to start out with 808nm (And at 1W too!) - it's just about completely invisible but will damage your eyes in just the same way as high power visible laser would (except you know, you can't even see it coming).

Yes! I got this: Eagle Pair® 190-540nm & 800-1700nm OD5 Laser Safety Goggles
Thanks for reminding