Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will this work as a DIY a 2S lipo charger?

djQUAN

Diodes and zeners won't work since they have a very wide accuracy tolerance typically 5%. You'd need better than 1% for lithium ion CV termination voltage. Plus, diode / zener voltage drop varies with temperature, current and phase of the moon.

rhd

Diodes and zeners won't work since they have a very wide accuracy tolerance typically 5%. You'd need better than 1% for lithium ion CV termination voltage. Plus, diode / zener voltage drop varies with temperature, current and phase of the moon.

I wasn't considering that route - it didn't make any sense to me. Somewhere in the equation there has to be an IC with some brains - even if that's just a linear regulator.

djQUAN

I wasn't considering that route - it didn't make any sense to me. Somewhere in the equation there has to be an IC with some brains - even if that's just a linear regulator.

Yes, sorry, that was for The Lightning Stalker since he mentioned using either a string of diodes or zeners.

rhd

Any thoughts about the viability of this?

attachment.php

Since this is a little bit outside of my usual wheelhouse, I've held off on laying out a board for the time being (hoping that a second set of eyes can glance at this and give me a yay or nay).

Attachments

• charger.png
    charger.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,189

djQUAN

You'd just need a current limited source for the input, also, you'd need to disconnect the pack after charging.

And one more thing, the op amp may not be able to source/sink enough current to balance mismatched cells in bad packs but in a well matched pack, it should be no problem.

Other than that, it will probably work.

rhd

You'd just need a current limited source for the input, also, you'd need to disconnect the pack after charging.

And one more thing, the op amp may not be able to source/sink enough current to balance mismatched cells in bad packs but in a well matched pack, it should be no problem.

Other than that, it will probably work.

The OP AMP, is capable of 3A - I chose one that was very high current.

Since I have enough voltage overhead, would it be sufficient to nest everything above inside a current regulating setup of another linear regulator? Ie another 1085?

djQUAN

Ah I didn't check the op amp datasheet. If so, that'd be plenty.

How big are the cells that you plan to charge with this thing?

Yes, with enough voltage headroom, a constant current regulator before the voltage regulator will work to make a CC-CV supply.

rhd

Ah I didn't check the op amp datasheet. If so, that'd be plenty.

How big are the cells that you plan to charge with this thing?

Yes, with enough voltage headroom, a constant current regulator before the voltage regulator will work to make a CC-CV supply.

Around 100 mAh

With djQ's inputs I'd say it looks like it should work fine.

If you add series resistance mind there will be a voltage drop, depending on expected current this will or won't be an issue. I'd just go with a front end CC regulator, personally.

Looks good - but it may oscillate if you don't stabilize it somehow. I would put a cap from pin 1 to ground, myself.

rhd

With djQ's inputs I'd say it looks like it should work fine.

If you add series resistance mind there will be a voltage drop, depending on expected current this will or won't be an issue. I'd just go with a front end CC regulator, personally.

Looks good - but it may oscillate if you don't stabilize it somehow. I would put a cap from pin 1 to ground, myself.

With this advice in hand, I've revised the schematic as follows:

attachment.php

Conceptually it bothers me to have a current regulator that I know will (in all likelihood) never actually be in regulation. I can't articulate a reason that this would be a problem though.

Attachments

• charger2.png
    charger2.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 917

djQUAN

Below the current limit threshold, the current regulator simply conducts to max (lowest voltage drop). Voltage drop increases to regulate current when the threshold is reached.