Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

will this lens work with this sony 50mw 405nm violet diode

Hello, I want to build my first laser, and before I buy I want to know if this particular diode Sld3232vf Original Sony 50mw 405nm Violet Laser Diode work with this Triple Glazing Focusing Lens Collimating Coated Glass Lens Blue Laser Diode 405nm-450nm

Link below for lens
https://m.banggood.com/Triple-Glazi...Laser-Diode-405nm-p-1035471.html?rmmds=search

Also if this works, is it easy to fix that diode to lens, or do I also need a module or can I fit this diode to that lens without any module and use it like that with current control using lm317???

Last edited:

Hi, As Diachi said DTR shop for the parts you need to construct your first build. And yes thats a 3 element lens and a G2 single will work to.

Rich:)

Yes that will work.

Yes you absolutely need a module. An additional heatsink might be an idea depending on how long you run it.

DTR sells nice quality copper modules, though they're a little overkill for that diode.

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diode-modules

:beer:

what if I don't use a module, and just hook up this diode to that lens with a current driver, that won't work? because for now I just want to experiment before my final build and see if I can do it properly and get good beam out of it and see if it burns also.

But in case as you said I absolutely need a module, can I use this (link below) since its local for me and easy to get?

link below
https://www.aam.com.pk/shop/5mw-650nm-red-laser-diode-module/

Last edited:
That won't work for long. You have to have someplace for waste heat produced by the diode to go. A module is the start of that. The module is then heat sinked to carry away more excess heat. If you use nothing at all, the diode will suffer from COD in a matter of seconds. Now, you can buy nickel plated brass modules on eBay for about $10.00 for five of them. That should work well enough to start.

Gazen

Dtrs modules come stock with lenses, they’ll work fine for your purposes.

Just don’t run a more powerful diode or the lens may melt.

He also sells diode presses that make putting diodes in the modules a breeze.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Everyone uses a stock acrylic lens in their modules, whether it is DTR or eBay. These lenses can be used for lasers under 400 mW, otherwise you will melt the lens and cause more damage than just a bad lens. I have used the acrylic lens in some of the new Sharp diodes between 488nm and 505nm. They typically output ~120 mW depending on the driver you use.

Last edited:

Gazen

Thanks, I would order from that Dtrs site but unfortunately where I live, I might have custom issues and late or lost shipment issues ...

So that's why I want to know why won't this module (local site, link below) work with that diode and Triple Glazing Focusing collimating Lens??

link for the module.
https://www.aam.com.pk/shop/5mw-650nm-red-laser-diode-module/

The link you provided leads to a 5mW laser module. Do you plan on taking the diode/driver already inside and replacing it with yours?

It would be better just to buy a pack of bare modules.

Last edited:
The link you provided leads to a 5mW laser module. Do you plan on taking the diode/driver already inside and replacing it with yours?

It would be better just to buy a pack of bare modules.

yeah I want to takeout that diode/driver, and use the sony 50mw 405nm diode and make my own driver. Will the lens in that module also work for this diode or if I have to replace it and I buy this one link below, will it be compatible, fit/attach to that module?

https://m.banggood.com/Triple-Glazi...k2_58u14&utm_source=ShareASale&utm_medium=aff

GSS

Last edited:
I had not seen these single nickel plated brass modules for 99 cents. It is most likely your diode is a TO18, or 5.6 mm diameter, diode. This module would work fine for it, and I can't see any country's customs seizing it at your borders. If you want to build a laser, that is your best option. You will still need to find a driver that is compatible with your diode, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Or, as GSS mentioned you can buy a #301 405nm laser from Banggood or eBay for very little money. Forget about using a 5 mW laser module to repurpose as a module for a higher power 405nm diode. It won't be easy and likely won't end well.