Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will this aluminum heatsink be enough?

A little off the cuff, but would putting a laser in front of a fan after use cool it down any quicker and would it cause some damage from not letting it cool the way its supposed to?

Yes it should cool a little faster, it depends on the design of the laser, ideally the fan should blow directly on the heat sink. No it can't cause any damage. Fans are used in lab lasers, there have been one or two hand helds here that had a built in fan.

Alan

Last edited:

GSS

Yes it should cool a little faster, it depends on the design of the laser, ideally the fan should blow directly on the heat sink. No it can't cause any damage. Fans are used in lab lasers, there have been one or two hand helds here that had a built in fan.

Alan
Thanks Pi, I know that lasers well labbys are fan cooled but the fans prevent them from reaching the heat that needs to be cooled, just wanted to hear if helping it cool down was bad. Im going to play with some of my cheap higher output ebay pens with the fan. So again good to know:) I do remember seeing some fan cooled hand held laser on someones build, pretty " cool "

Last edited:

Pluxx

Alan

I know this is a bit out of context but from going down powerful lasers I've seen on youtube and in general I've never seen any 445nm that's over 6W from a single diode why is this so? is advancement going really slow or there's no demand for higher outputs? (Note: i know IR 40W lasers exists but im interested in the 445nm ones)

Thanks!

I know this is a bit out of context but from going down powerful lasers I've seen on youtube and in general I've never seen any 445nm that's over 6W from a single diode why is this so? is advancement going really slow or there's no demand for higher outputs? (Note: i know IR 40W lasers exists but im interested in the 445nm ones)

Thanks!

Yes I think it's a combination of the two, but mostly no demand I would think, they are mostly used in projectors, I am not sure what scientific or industrial uses they have if any at all. Right now as far as I know the most powerful 445nm can do 7W or a little more.

Alan