Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will these two parts fit together nicely?

Hey everyone,

Sorry for such an easy question, I am entering the laser scene and am slowly starting to understand what's what. Just need some help from someone a little more experienced.

Will this green laser module
INDUSTRIAL/LAB 532nm Green Laser 75mW Diode Module Beam | eBay

fit into this host?
DIY/Test Laser Torcstlye Hosts/For 12x60mm Laser Module | eBay

and also what batteries would be recommended for maximum power, without over-doing the diode?
I also assume the spring module would be needed?

Thanks in advance,
Vic :thanks:

It would appear that yes, they are made to simply fit together, you'd need to pressfit the brass part of your laser module into the aluminium heatsink in the host to a needed distance, but you can experiement with that.

Batteries? You use whatever batteries that host can use. Which ever batteries you use, module power will always stay the same, that's what the regulation electronics in the module are for (PCB with switch on it).

Thanks for the help!

Will experiment with all batteries as I'm not too sure what the host can hold, it shouldn't be a problem though.

:yh:

Although specifications for the host itself are missing, I can see that you get two tailcaps with it (the part with the switch, which closes the battery).

With one, you can use one 16340 or CR123 battery, and with other, longer one, you can use one 18650 battery.

I would highly reccomend 18650 batteries as with 75mW modules, they will last around 3 to 4 hours before needing a recharge. With 16340 lithium ion, maybe 2 hours at best, and no idea about primary lithium pile CR123 cells.

Only one thing,

I guess you know that the module that you want is 13mm in diameter, and the host has a heatsink for install the module have 12mm in diameter?

Last edited:
No worries piferal,

That is clearly standard 12mm module, although specs say 13mm down there.

It will fit.

No worries piferal,

That is clearly standard 12mm module, although specs say 13mm down there.

It will fit.

Actually no, he's correct. I have some modules similar to that and they won't fit in normal 12mm holes without either lathing the module down, or making the hole larger. I don't think they're actually 13mm though. They seem to be more like 12.5, but it's still enough that they won't work in a normal 12mm hole unless you use a press.. which your likely to destroy the module doing.

I also love how you can tell the difference between 12mm and 13mm just from a picture. :whistle: :eg:

Last edited:
Actually no, he's correct. I have some modules similar to that and they won't fit in normal 12mm holes without either lathing the module down, or making the hole larger. I don't think they're actually 13mm though. They seem to be more like 12.5, but it's still enough that they won't work in a normal 12mm hole unless you use a press.. which your likely to destroy the module doing.

I also love how you can tell the difference between 12mm and 13mm just from a picture. :whistle: :eg:
Wow.

I have never seen a module which is 12.5 mm (that is, declared 13mm) in diameter, hence I assumed it's 12mm but they didn't bother to use a caliper to measure it out.

Still I believe it's 12mm, since I had some from O-like (from when they were selling modules with inner thread for cap, not outter like now) which looked exactly like that, even same driver I believe (but only one out of two ordered looked exactly like that, other one had a bit different driver).

About those that you have that ARE wider, from where did you get those?
I'm fairly interested. I didn't think it was a standard. Is it possible that it's such a large deviation from the standard dimensions?

I'm not sure why they're larger. I think I still have the housing to one at the office. I'll try to remember to carry some calipers and take a pic. I do know that they don't work with standard 12mm holes though.

All the straight modules like without the outer threading on the front seem to be like that. I don't know if it was just a mistake on whoever made the actual housing's part or what..

The ones built like that also use 9mm pump diodes. Just FYI, And it's also easy to spot 'good' modules from cheap ones. The cheap ones, like this one, will just have one threaded section. The good ones have an additional section that actually has pump focusing optics.

Dealextreme's modules are threaded in two sections, and have an outter thread for lens cap.

On the other hand, the ones from O-like that I've got (one threaded section, inner thread for cap) were exactly 12mm always, and fit into everything.

Perhaps yours are just a really bad deviation from the standard?

I do know for sure that Aixiz modules are actually 11.85 mm , not 12, and if you tried to use a real 12mm module with a heatsink designed for pressfitting Aixiz modules, it could have been the reason why it didn't work.

I wasn't referring to DX modules, only these specific ones in regards to being able to identify good ones with with pump optics vs cheap ones that have the crystal set butted against the diode. The ones DX sells vary a lot in quality, and even appearance. It's really a 'module of the day' when ordering green modules from them.

I just measured one of the ones I have in my junkbox that looks like the one in the OP and it came out to 12.2mm. So who knows. I just know all the modules I have that are built identcally to that particular one, have all ended up being over 12mm.

12.2 mm you say? Well first, you have to take into consideration that heatsink hole itself might not be 12.00 mm (it never is), and if it's bored with 12mm drillbit, it's most likely 12.10 mm.

So just a tiny bit of file working, and it will be one good pressfit.

So I stay by my word, I say it will fit. Although not exclusively plug-n-play, but perhaps with a little bit of work (filing the heatsink hole and/or filing the outside of the module).

I guess it just depends on the quality of the machine work done. My 12mm holes are always right at 12mm. :D At least if they need to be. Usually I use an undersized drill bit, then use a boring bar to finalize the size if tolerances are that critical.

I guess it just depends on the quality of the machine work done. My 12mm holes are always right at 12mm. :D At least if they need to be. Usually I use an undersized drill bit, then use a boring bar to finalize the size if tolerances are that critical.
Ofcourse.

Problem is where you machine a BIG lot of them, bulk. Every extra step reduces profit, makes expenses go up.

So I would not be surprised if those were just bored and released.

once i receive said items i will post back here to let you know if it fitted nicely and/or what work was required.

thanks all :D

Ofcourse.

Problem is where you machine a BIG lot of them, bulk. Every extra step reduces profit, makes expenses go up.

So I would not be surprised if those were just bored and released.

True.. There's a reason my hosts generally aren't $20 like everybody elses heh. Mine tend to be more than just metal slugs with 12mm holes bored through them.. Cutting fins and threads takes a lot more time, so therefor I have to charge more.