Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will the NUBM44-V2 remain the highest output diode?

Will the NUBM44-V2 remain the highest output diode? and if not how long before might it take before it could be knocked off the top? :unsure:

As far as projector diodes meant for pumping phosphor I expect, well I speculate the arrays will be used in most new units and over time they may use less and less stronger chips until they get it down to just 1 but before that happens they may switch to a RBG laser arrangement with one big red, one green and one blue which will be great, but for a while we may see mostly arrays however an array with 4 stronger blues could be made better use of than these 20-24 chip arrays, only time will tell but it may be quite some time, most likely is the individual chips in the arrays may get more efficient and a little stronger but they won't be useful to us until someone transplants them into a single form factor, maybe a Chinese entrepreneur.

I keep hoping we will see some new holographic TV craze using strong high quality single mode laser diodes, that would be fantastic when mass production gets them down in cost, imagine a 750.00 holoTV projector with a 10w single mode blue, a 10w red single mode and a 5w green single mode all with very good beam quality, maybe when we get quantum laser diodes ??

Last edited:
BTW Sharp makes a 5w GH04C05Y9G and so far I have only tested one of them, it has divergence very much like the nubm44 but is only good for 5.5w however they are for sale at a good price as are the Chinese re-canned nubm08's and I hope to see a much stronger blue from Sharp but those arrays may be a bad omen for us.

Peter Zeboroff

As far as projector diodes meant for pumping phosphor I expect, well I speculate the arrays will be used in most new units and over time they may use less and less stronger chips until they get it down to just 1 but before that happens they may switch to a RBG laser arrangement with one big red, one green and one blue which will be great, but for a while we may see mostly arrays however an array with 4 stronger blues could be made better use of than these 20-24 chip arrays, only time will tell but it may be quite some time, most likely is the individual chips in the arrays may get more efficient and a little stronger but they won't be useful to us until someone transplants them into a single form factor, maybe a Chinese entrepreneur.

I keep hoping we will see some new holographic TV craze using strong high quality single mode laser diodes, that would be fantastic when mass production gets them down in cost, imagine a 750.00 holoTV projector with a 10w single mode blue, a 10w red single mode and a 5w green single mode all with very good beam quality, maybe when we get quantum laser diodes ??
Why dont one of you guys make a compact knife edge array that would take the 20 or more seperate beams from one of these multiple arrays and combine them into a very tight but powerful beam that would be extremely bright and be able to be projected some distance. These arrays all seem to be about the same size so it wouldnt take that much effort to make a kind of after market knife edge and proper multiple beam collimating component that could be easily adapted to almost any of the current multiple diode arrays and this would if properly done be an execellent intermediate solution for very high poer,high brightness beams until maybe when and if they actually come out with a more powerful single diode then 7 watts. I have seen arrays done with 4-8 diodes but why not the 20-24 and in a compact package. I just dont have the optical skills or I would have already donr this years ago when those multiple arrays first came out.

Well, technically, it's not. There are 808 nm diodes capable of way more output, but that wavelength isn't generally considered to be within the visible spectrum. Also, those huge 808 nm diodes aren't manufactured to target the consumer electronics market.

Anyway, the electronics shortage and covid crisis probably means that innovation will be slow for the next year or so.