Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WIFI illness. your thoughts please

There has been plenty of debate on what radio fields generally cause, and do not. The scientific (i.e. proper peer reviewed pubshished research) consensus is, more or less:

- radioelectric fields have physical effects when they are strong enough to cause tissue heating
- they have no physical effects whatsoever on humans other than those eplained by heating

The psychological effect is something else. While in the US the debate may be over WIFI signals, its more about UMTS base stations here. It makes the news once in a while when people complain of all kinds of adverse effects after an antenna has been installed.

One case i distinctly remember was a textbook example of the vague complaints people claim to experience, in the months after a cell/umts tower was installed. Journalists wanted to investigate this one further, and proceeded to contact the telecom company that owned the antenna to learn about its power output and such.

Imagine their surprise when the telecom company indicated that while the antenna had been placed, they had not been taken into service yet, and had never emitted any signal apart from a brief test after installation.

This is fairly typical of these cases. Even people that claim to be sensitive to radio fields never show that in a well designed blind test. I'm confident that there is no human on earth that can tell if an wifi access point is emitting any signals from 10 feet away as long as they dont get any visual clues.

Thermal effects are very real though, comparable to sticking your hand in a microwave oven when its running. This could to some degree explain some experiences with cellphones, where the antenna is very close to body and the output power can be as large as 2 watts. For a phone this problem is very easy to solve: just use a wired hansfree set to keep the antenna away from your head.

[qoute]
LOL@ aniti radiation paint...
[/qoute]

Radiowave absorbing paint actually exists. Its mostly used to keep signals from leaking to the outside in tempest scenarios.

The RF thermal effects are as you have said very real, especially on the extremely large microwave towers used for TV / AM/FM stations etc... The US army has a microwave based ADS (area denial system) that uses the thermal effects of a maser focussed on to a reflector
waveguide.
The emfprotectionsafety group is a company actively using fear to make a buck. Just look at their products. oh and check is quote out directly from their website

"PICTURES BELOW OF RADIATION FROM A CELL PHONE FLOWING THROUGHOUT YOUR CAR TURNING IT INTO A RADIATION CAGE?"

Unreal... not only are they selling crap, they are intentionally misleading and misrepresenting physics as well. RF doesn't flow throughout anything. It flows on the surface of conductors. There is no radiation cage.

Things

tinfoilhatarea.jpg

I agree with InfEq completely, it's just another thing for parents to try blame for their bad parenting.

tinfoilhatarea.jpg

I agree with InfEq completely, it's just another thing for parents to try blame for their bad parenting.

This is pretty much what I thought walking away from a local meeting on WIFI in schools. Virtually all the parents that had a problem with WIFI had children with (issues) either related to performance, focussing in class, emotional issues (hypochondria, ) and or drive/motivational problems.
IT sounded like the parents were also fishing for attention. I came away shaking my head. Not only were the parents quoting (tabloid headlines) utter nonsense but they were trying to justify their child's underperformance/issues in school. Quite a few of the students were claiming stomach problems and mood disorders as well. What I find completely contradictory is the fact that most of the parents were using cellphones.
Amazing. What's worse is that school districts are actually eating this crap up!! Next thing you know parents will be complaining about too many wires being environmentally unfriendly.

Last edited:
^^^Wonder how many of those parents had smartphones with wifi turned on:crackup:

And how many more of them use wireless routers at home:shhh:

Last edited:

Things

Maybe if you give them some facts about the microwave they use at home, maybe they'd shut up about it? Considering WIFI IS microwaves.

Maybe if you give them some facts about the microwave they use at home, maybe they'd shut up about it? Considering WIFI IS microwaves.

I'm willing to bet you could sell some lead cooking aprons at a great margin if you do:tinfoil::eg:

yeah, a few hundred pounds of them... I could make a fortune. Actually copper mesh would work just fine.

Right, the 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz band is considered well within the microwave spectra.
1Ghz-300Ghz is Microwave.

Benm

"PICTURES BELOW OF RADIATION FROM A CELL PHONE FLOWING THROUGHOUT YOUR CAR TURNING IT INTO A RADIATION CAGE?"

I havent seen the picture, but i can imagine that the RF from a cell phone would actually -bounce around- within the car to a certain degree. Obviously it does go out the windows winthin a few reflections since they are much larger than the wavelength. If this were not the case, the phone wouldn't even work inside the car :D

Edit:
I think i found it here: http://emfnews.org/Car-Radiation-Cell-Phones-Faraday-Cage-and-Cancer.html

The intensity map they produced could actually be realistic, depening on how power levels correspond with the colors. As for the site as a whole: the external cellphone antenna for a car is the only product that seems feasible so far, and it least it gives you better reception :D

Last edited:
Well, RF from a cell certainly doesn't flow inside the space of anything. RF flows around conductors/objects. IT is not volumetric. It does not penetrate conductors rather it transmits on a skin.

Benm

Sure it does, but thats the point: most surfaces on a car would be reflective to the ghz range frequencies used by cellphones. Any signal coming from the antenna would reflect of things like the roof or the metal of a door back into the car. The RF doesnt go into the car, but bounces around the inside of it until it finds a way out or gets absorbed.

This doesnt pose any healt hazard, but i would agree to the concept that your exposure to RF would be higher when using a cellphone inside a car compared to using it in an open field (provided the network coverage / transmit power is the same).

Sure it does, but thats the point: most surfaces on a car would be reflective to the ghz range frequencies used by cellphones. Any signal coming from the antenna would reflect of things like the roof or the metal of a door back into the car. The RF doesnt go into the car, but bounces around the inside of it until it finds a way out or gets absorbed.

This doesnt pose any healt hazard, but i would agree to the concept that your exposure to RF would be higher when using a cellphone inside a car compared to using it in an open field (provided the network coverage / transmit power is the same).

Interesting point. It is the use of language in the companies language that has me riled up. They are stretching the physics for their sales, it might reflect inside and inclosed space, but these guys use the word "flow" like it's a gas, which it surely isn't.
How do explain the concern over WIFI in a class setting? I really find the explanation of WIFI in schools as a FAR overblown issue considering the emissions are far less than even on a cell.

Last edited:

Benm

Well, i suppose they may get the terminology mixup, being pseudoscientists and all :D

Its a funny industry, catering mostly to people that suffer from some imaginary ailment and collecting huge amounts of money. Sometimes i wonder if this method of business is even legal, but apparently nothing is done against it.

What gets on my nerves more is people taking the issue outside their home. Recently someone in holland got a umts base station shut off because she claimed to be suffering from its rf output. I suppose the rest of the neighbourhood will not be very happy with their reduced signal...