Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Lasers EVO question---open source suggestions

I always said I would never spend the kind of money it takes to buy from Wicked Lasers but I recently gave in and picked up a brand new EVO w/smart port for a good price on eBay. That being said I was looking at their website for some info and reading their description of the laser it says there is a "secret" mode called WOZ mode. I have searched the forum and the net and have found nothing on what the mode is, what it does, or how to even access it. Has anyone here figured this out or found any information online about it?

Yet another reason to not like wicked lasers, tell you about a mode on their device and never mention ar tell anyone what it is or how to use it. I think the open source part of the laser is neat but how much can you really do with a simple on/off device like a laser? Any ideas?

This is very interesting. Although I cannot help you further I'm glad you shared this. I can't find anything about it either. So they're saying it may have been requested by Steve Wozniak but WoZ is also the Wizard of Oz. I bet that might have something to do with it. Maybe two clicks in sequential order might activate it?

joeyss

The only thing I ever liked from WL are their hosts that's about it.

SteveT

This is very interesting. Although I cannot help you further I'm glad you shared this. I can't find anything about it either. So they're saying it may have been requested by Steve Wozniak but WoZ is also the Wizard of Oz. I bet that might have something to do with it. Maybe two clicks in sequential order might activate it?

I wonder if spelling out WOZ by clicking in morse code may work?

Oh good grief! You need a cable for that smart port to plug it into your Apple computer or other Apple device. The laser can then be controlled with software or an app, although I don't know if anyone ever did this except for themselves, am not aware of a commercial app for this, but if your really smart you might figure it out. It was because of a request by Steve Wozniak that they built in this feature.

Alan

SteveT

There is an app available from WL. I have an Evo and Smartport (which can also connect to your device via an optional Bluetooth module) but I have never used it. Whether the so called 'hidden WOZ mode' is a further embedded capability, the capability itself or just marketing hype and BS, who knows? :)

Last edited:
I have received my EVO. It's a good enough 532nm 100mw laser, I was actually fairly impressed with the power output as I had low expectations. I got a pretty good deal on it and it came with the SmartPort included also with a pair of specs. I really like the host I think it is awesome.

I did go ahead and try the SmartPort feature and hooked it in the my Apple cell phone and it worked exactly as advertised but it was a unique function lasted for about five minutes and I got bored with it and took it off. I believe I would use it more if I had the Bluetooth accessory with it not just the SmartPort connected with the wire.
That being said before much longer you guys will see the Evo on the for sale bored as I would rather take the money and put it towards a custom build of a 462 nm.

-Joe

SteveT

Joe if you consider selling I think nwfreefly may be interested, possibly some others too...