Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Why so quiet?

Dusty_Lenses

I can't be the only one who noticed, but what happened to forums in general?

LPF, PL, and even other forums I've frequented intermittently over the past decade or so have just gone quiet.

I'm curious as to where all the traffic and engagement went on LPF?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240627-093827.png
    Screenshot_20240627-093827.png
    77 KB · Views: 9

If I recall correctly this forum came about during a time when high powered handheld lasers were popping up all over the place. Vendors like LaserGlow, Wicked Lasers, Nova Lasers, Tech Lasers, Dragon Lasers ect were offering this new gadget that provided laser powers rarely seen outside of labs and professional equipment so it caught on fast and understandably those people collected in forums like this place.

Now we are here nearly a decade after the FDA's ban on the import of those devices so it makes sense that its a bit quiet around here now. I myself took a nearly decade long break from the hobby, pouring money and time into other things. But this place and laser pointers in general still hold a solid place in my heart.

Plus the ease of clicking open your Facebook, x, reddit, etc. App makes people start there then ends up taking all their free time due to what i would call an addiction.

High powered and full a spectrum of different color lasers are a niche hobby which is so strange because if more people knew about them they wouldn't be so niche. (In my very biased opinion anyways)

Plus this glorious recession does not help whatsoever. People have less and less money for wants vs needs.
Well, it's a recession until redefined, then if Trump gets back in they will change it back.;)

The legal restrictions and the loss of the higher power (and some wavelengths) units from CNI and their resellers about ten years ago really took the wind out of my sails for a bit there.

The yellows reappearing and new sellers like JLasers and Sanwu have really helped in the last few years.

I do think though that a lot of the types of discussion we have on the forums are more suited to the Discord group and this has caused more activity there proportionally. A lot of the "noob" type questions like " What laser should I get", "help, dropped my laser", "need help with a build" are very repetitive and better suited to the faster Discord type discussion as opposed to a new thread. Where the forum is really better is mainly in posting reviews of lasers and the diode spec references. More of a reference area, while discord is for discussion.

Everyone has spot on thoughts.
I just wish members would help new comers a little more. Not the ones that say "Give Me My Link Now" but those that seemed to try a bit but just couldn't find what they needed.

Yes alot of new comers are one post hit and runners. Then theres the ones that have attitude when you push them to get safety glasses. That does eerk me.
It just was so much freindlier back in the day and we worked with those that had the "Give Me's".

Ears an Eggs is right though, the same questions get repetitive but I think we just have to deal with it and still keep creating a nice freindly forum.
Still have to deal with the I broke my Thor laser or Gattling type, I think thats still ok and will lead them to home made builds or builds from good standing members after they realize those Thors's don't usually last long.
Ok back then the fascination was taking apart a DVD burner and then the new 532's to the A130's to the M140's and finally NUM44 to 1W 520's.

Now though there are those way cheaper ex rare WL's.
This forum needs to push them too now. Those who have them should put them on there signature if they haven't. I know I use to look at everyones lasers below their names alot.

Ok i'm babbling I know but curious what others would like to see here?

I was hoping this would become a multi hobby forum. I think a lot of hobbies are shared with everyone here. That might get everyone together again.
This is how it would have to be in order to survive soon if not already. Forum setups are a dying platform type. It’s a shame as they are better at archiving and storing data than discord servers etc. But when you can create a discord server for free and you haven’t got to worry about running costs, upkeep, userbase to keep going. It’s not hard to work out why they are dying. As for the hobby specific reasons. People here have covered it. Let’s not also forget that a large proportion of the user base is American and it took a bad hit when US laws restricted handhelds. Much more than other countries that had the restrictions.

Then just as you see an uptake of people taking on hobbies again due to boredom of the pandemic. We all get hit by the cost of living. Which wrecks all ability to spend out on hobbies. We didn’t adopt a cheap hobby. Lasers burn a hole in your pocket.

Last edited:
I just hope I have been serving you guys well even if it is a dying format
We’ve had our differences at times but I respect anyone that gives up their unpaid time to moderate and keep a place operational. A lot of good people have passed through this site and some went on to represent the moderation team.

This is how it would have to be in order to survive soon if not already. Forum setups are a dying platform type. It’s a shame as they are better at archiving and storing data than discord servers etc. But when you can create a discord server for free and you haven’t got to worry about running costs, upkeep, userbase to keep going. It’s not hard to work out why they are dying. As for the hobby specific reasons. People here have covered it. Let’s not also forget that a large proportion of the user base is American and it took a bad hit when US laws restricted handhelds. Much more than other countries that had the restrictions.

Then just as you see an uptake of people taking on hobbies again due to boredom of the pandemic. We all get hit by the cost of living. Which wrecks all ability to spend out on hobbies. We didn’t adopt a cheap hobby. Lasers burn a hole in your pocket.

Yeah, the cost of living issue is a really good point and probably the main reason that is not specific to the laser hobby and not something we can do anything about.

Seeing this in many other hobbies from model railroading to amateur astronomy to lasers. These are not cheap hobbies and something that will need to be cut when times get tough sadly. :(

Yeah, the cost of living issue is a really good point and probably the main reason that is not specific to the laser hobby and not something we can do anything about.

Seeing this in many other hobbies from model railroading to amateur astronomy to lasers. These are not cheap hobbies and something that will need to be cut when times get tough sadly. :(
Yep, exactly this.

Another huge factor I have just thought of is the way the internet is changing. I know AI is being talked about a lot at the moment. But there are reasons for that. The way we gather and utilise information is changing. Our browsing habits are being modified by social conditioning and new technology. The time spent browsing websites is declining. Forums especially. Community is now solely through social media and chat platforms. The days where people would browse sites for knowledge, gather alternative explanations/opinions, fact check etc are gone. We are exposed to so much fake content and are becoming so exceptionally lazy, that we are quite comfortable with receiving and believing false information. The number one reason why people join sites like this is for help. The second is community. Help can be as simple as a question to an AI algorithm and most answers are now immediately available. Community no longer requires a forum to participate in it. I've tested several AI algorithms out including the new Google Gemini that Google eventually wants to replace the main search engine and the WWW. I've found some enormous issues with this already, but won't go off topic. The main point I am making is the answer is a question away, and the user knows no better on whether they've been educated correctly. Nor are they truly likely to care. This definitely goes for the younger generation that are being bought up under this new era.

I missed that one, what restrictions were imposed in the USA?

TBH I didn't expect that one. Was there any major incidents that brought this about?

What we need are some new VIS quantum dot laser diodes with awesome specs and low prices, that would get things roaring again.

Anyone seen anything new ?
Maybe something in the auto industry for holographic projection ?

The conclusion:
3D sensing using diode lasers will play an increasingly critical role in improving the safety of smart and autonomous cars by providing real-time information about the vehicle, the physical environment and the driver. Using proven diode laser technology, automotive OEM's can design 3D sensing systems that will enable next generation capabilities in a cost-effective manner. Many of these capabilities are anticipated to become mainstream features by the end of the decade, making diode lasers an important emerging technology for automotive applications.

What we need are some new VIS quantum dot laser diodes with awesome specs and low prices, that would get things roaring again.

Anyone seen anything new ?
Maybe something in the auto industry for holographic projection ?

The conclusion:
3D sensing using diode lasers will play an increasingly critical role in improving the safety of smart and autonomous cars by providing real-time information about the vehicle, the physical environment and the driver. Using proven diode laser technology, automotive OEM's can design 3D sensing systems that will enable next generation capabilities in a cost-effective manner. Many of these capabilities are anticipated to become mainstream features by the end of the decade, making diode lasers an important emerging technology for automotive applications.

Ugh, now we have to buy cars to R&D. This hobby is getting more expensive! :ROFLMAO:

Back