Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why not Button cells?

Obviously you've already decided button cells will work, so just go try it already. Hell, if Kipkay does it it must be true!

:rolleyes:

i a fully aware of what kipkay does i was just simply stating it has been been done. don't know why everyone's ripping on me for trying something else. btw i do in fact have lithiums for my lasers.

and i highly doubt i will be ripping it apart every 30 seconds and by utilizing the rare earth magnets that come in sleds i will simply place one in between each battery it will be easy changing them.

and i highly doubt i will be ripping it apart every 30 seconds and by utilizing the rare earth magnets that come in sleds i will simply place one in between each battery it will be easy changing them.

Once again, those little button cells can't provide the current you need or the capacity you need to power a high powered laser for any period of time. You WILL be taking it apart and putting new batteries in a lot.

What, exactly, would be the point of using button cells? If you're going to run a bunch of stacks in parallel you're going to end up with a pile of the things bigger than a lithium battery. The idea is just straight up dumb...

I don't even know how to respond to the gibberish at the end of that last sentence. I don't see how putting magnets between batteries will make them easier to change but I do know that will make them take up a lot more space. The small size of button cells is the only reason they should even be considered, stacking them with a bunch of magnets just takes away the only advantage of button cells.

Once again, those little button cells can't provide the current you need or the capacity you need to power a high powered laser for any period of time. You WILL be taking it apart and putting new batteries in a lot.

What, exactly, would be the point of using button cells? If you're going to run a bunch of stacks in parallel you're going to end up with a pile of the things bigger than a lithium battery. The idea is just straight up dumb...

I don't even know how to respond to the gibberish at the end of that last sentence. I don't see how putting magnets between batteries will make them easier to change but I do know that will make them take up a lot more space. The small size of button cells is the only reason they should even be considered, stacking them with a bunch of magnets just takes away the only advantage of button cells.

did you not read....or did you not read. i said i have lithiums already. but im using a way smaller host now so these will fit . that is why i bought them. and i use my laser at most 5 minutes a day of run time

im sorry that this isnt a place to experiment so just continue following the leader.

virtually everything on this forum is created by experimentation.

A lot of vets here really got bad attitudes. You got their opinion, now go and do what you want to.

Also, Using the diode out of a sled (LPC) isn't a "Hack", Kipkay.

"Today you will learn how to hack a pencil by turning it over and erasing things!" - KipKay

kruser495

Go ahead and do Your experiment! We are just trying to save You the trouble, because You'll be disappointed with the results.

A lot of vets here really got bad attitudes. You got their opinion, now go and do what you want to.

Also, Using the diode out of a sled (LPC) isn't a "Hack", Kipkay.

"Today you will learn how to hack a pencil by turning it over and erasing things!" - KipKay

yeah i got that feeling from the start, but you are always helpful toast. its almost as if tj and coherent are seemingly a little stuck up. when this forum isn't about ripping on a new guy its about sharing information and helping other. that's what the vets need to remember.

coherent- while its possible i might be disappointed, i spent 3 bucks for a 100. not a big loss. i bought them simply cause of my host. as stated above they wont be wasted, im very involved in electronics and it will be put to good use.

ill have to wait some time before testing it as i ordered from the china dx but i will keep you guys posted on how it works out. ill be using it with the 405nm which wont draw THAT much current.

7-21 days after it actually ships. I have heard 5 days a couple of times, and over 30 as well.

Trevor

Thank you, sir, for pouring more alkaline batteries in our landfills.

Smashing job.

-Trevor

Thank you, sir, for pouring more alkaline batteries in our landfills.

Smashing job.

-Trevor

im sorry, you seem to be able to write but not read, hmm maybe you should read above posts smart one (if you can of course). smashing job!

vk2fro

I usually get stuff from DX in around 10-14 days - sometimes 18 or 19.

I just order the stuff and forget about it. when it rocks up in my mail box i go "oh yeah that torch/batteries/laser module i ordered" - got some great torches from there, one of which I call the aircraft landing light as its so bright :p

edit: sorry, torch / flashlight - we call em torches here.

Last edited:
One more quick note. Those 100 battery deals are junk. If you read the reviews the majority of the batteries are under power. They are QC rejects, and why they are so cheap. Buy a good 12v battery, and pull it apart like Kip did. If you really are trying to experiment, then that would be the smartest solution.

DX shipping time this year is around a month. I just got my latest order and it took 32 days. Its the holidays right now, and also that bomb scare came from China, so all packages are going to be delayed.

The reason why the Vets are hard opinionated is because we know what we are talking about. These experiments have been done before, and failed. For some reason you're missing this point. You're not doing anything new, and its not very smart to waste, and pollute the environment over something that has been tested and failed many times before. Its not the intellectual thing to do. People like Toaster are not smart enough to absorb this. He thinks in black and white, and thats not the case here, or anywhere else in fact. We are trying to help you, not stop you. There are a million more experiments that do work you could be spending your time an energy on. Why would you want to do a failed project? Makes no sense. Most times we would not care, but batteries are bad for the environment. Not in a tree huger sense, but a real world water, land, an environment pollution. There is no positive in this experiment at all. For lack of a better word, its stupid.

Good luck.

Last edited: