Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why do lasers over 200mW suddenly increase in cost

Seems to buy a laser up to 200mW the prices don't go up sharply, but seems anything over 200mW the prices start going through the roof, and seems that 50mW extra can be $200+ more expensive then a 200mW laser.

For an extra 50mW why is is so expensive, and seems the cost gets even greater over 250mW.

This must explain why many don't buy lasers over 200mW.

Re: Why do lasers over 200mW suddenly increase in

if your talking about green lasers,then thats because i think its something to do with the ir diode power needed to make 250mw +. Im not sure just my .02$

It has to do with  Supply & Demand & Effectiveness of the materials (Heatsink,diode,Crystal..ETC)

rathat

I wondered this also but even with ones over 100mw. On Novalasers, X100 $200 and X125 $300

mmykle

I *think* its because there are crystals needed to convert the IR light into the green light, whatever nm it is, I can't remember. Those crystals can only take so many mw of IR light before you need a better crystal. So im sure for something like 150mw to 200mw you can use the same crystal, but after 200mw you need to have a better crystal thus more expensive. I'm sure this type of crystal isn't made often either, driving up the cost... of course this is only if I'm correct, It's just a hypothesis based on my current knowledge.

I think it could be like diamonds, as you go larger in size and clarity, it gets more expensive because it's more rare. This could apply to lasers where it's is relatively easy to manufacture a 50mW laser with just average crystals. As you go up in power, it gets more and more difficult to produce. The crystals needed must be extremely efficient and of course become more and more rare. Hence, the prices increase exponentially.

rathat

This is a graph of prices of X series laser I made. As you can see, it follows a trend at a rate of $20 when you add 25mw(starting at 25 not 15) than it goes to add $70 each raise than $120. The price does not follow a single liner trend as the mw's do (excluding the 15 mw)
graphxlaserhr6.jpg