Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why are there no protected 32600s??

Ok, after considering everything, I believe I will order some unprotected cells. It seems that the protected cells are extremely rare for this size cell right now and many of the experts are saying it's not really a problem. With 5000mah on the battery, what do I need to pay attention to with these? As in, is there a voltage drop as the battery depletes? When should I recharge them and is it possible to recharge them too early?

The only real criteria for any li-ion battery is don't discharge them past 2.8V. Don't charge them higher than 4.2V, and never exceed the charge and discharge currents the particular battery is rated for.

Charge and discharge currents shouldnt be a problem with my setup then :) So 2.8 and 4.2 are the magic numbers then. Sounds simple enough :)

What would happen though if the 2 32600s got low if I were using a DDL as the driver and and assuming the LD is requiring another 3.0v? If the cells run lower than a combined 6v, would the LD still function dimly or would something fail in the circuit?

Discharging Li-ion cells past 2.8V decreases their usable life and capacity noticeably. Plus most chargers will refuse to even charge one that's very much lower than 2.8V.

The 2.8V is really a reliability limit more than a safety one... Though there are charging dangers when trying to salvage a cell that's been drained too much for normal chargers to work.

As far as driver behavior. Output wouldn't start dropping until input voltage sagged below your diode Vf + whatever overhead the DDL needs.

jayrob

Thats the one I'm going to get. Saw it on your 2D Mag host thread. Looking forward to your heatsink coming in. :)

I shipped the heatsink yesterday...

Keep your eyes peeled for my upcoming XM-L T6 Maglite modification kit... (specifically for 32600's)

I will show an option that you can use for an LED display battery monitor that will change colors as the voltage gets low. It monitors 2 cells. (8.4 to 6.2 Volts)

The LED will change colors as the voltage gets lower, and show red when the batteries reach 6.2 volts.

I just need to figure out the best way to mount it. But I have a great idea for the installation and will show details in that thread, which I will soon be making.

I will have a tiny (sealed) window to see the display of what color (voltage) it is.

Have you seen those tiny little clear plastic inserts that some lasers have as an 'armed indicator' light? It will be like that. Except it will change colors as the voltage gets lower... :cool:

There will also be an option for a single Li-Ion (32600) Maglite 'Stubby' mod, with a PCB protection board installed for the single cell. (inside the head of the light)

The Maglite modification thread will be for DIY, parts, or complete flashlight mods... :)

Of course, these protection circuits will also be able to install on a Maglite laser build if wanted...

Last edited:
Already sent? :) Sweet.

That sounds like a great idea, and would be a good seller too especially for that size cell since protected batts are impossible to find. Its a cool factor and a safety feature.

I have a Petzl headlamp with the same feature. It shows green when fully charged, then a red lamp comes on next to it, creating an orangy color. Then when low, the green goes off and the red remains. Every time the light switches between one of the colors the beam will flash on and off 5 times to give you a heads up.

Cant wait for you to get that one together.

Keep your eyes peeled for my upcoming XM-L T6 Maglite modification kit... (specifically for 32600's)

I will show an option that you can use for an LED display battery monitor that will change colors as the voltage gets low. It monitors 2 cells. (8.4 to 6.2 Volts)

:pop: I'll be keeping my eyes on your thread too.
I'm a big fan of ramming in as many features & intelligence as possible.

Sometoymachine;

The problem was a "no-name" poor quality cell.

I recommend U.L. listed cells from quality manufacturers,

if you want less chance of catastrophic failure.

I have used hundreds of #18650 "name brand" cells without circuit boards . . .

and have never even caused one cell to vent.

LarryDFW