Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Who wants a FREE FREE textbook on lasers?

When I read the title of this thread I figured you were going to mail off your textbook to one lucky person who requested it... The fact you've just posted it to a torrent and are posting the link to that torrent feels much cheaper and much sleazier. I'll not download this.

pseudolobster said:
When I read the title of this thread I figured you were going to mail off your textbook to one lucky person who requested it... The fact you've just posted it to a torrent and are posting the link to that torrent feels much cheaper and much sleazier. I'll not download this.

Oh well...

You guys are funny. Its ok if he gave his copy of the text book away, but not ok if he gives a digital copy of his book away. Who here has not made Xerox copies at the library at one time or another.
But I know, that's different. ::)

i don't want this thread to turn into a debate about piracy, but i find myself compelled to do so.
As was said earlier, this is a textbook intended for proffesors and other people with highly technical needs, not hobbyists like like the majority of this forum.

Somebody else posted a link to find this for $99. So i would guess there are about 3 or 4 people that are of this books intended audience on the board that would actually buy it. That is MAYBE $300, depending on if they knew about it/needed it etc. Not thousands of dollars somebody mentioned earlier.

Saying that all of us hobbyists would go out and buy this is if had not been posted is ludicrous.

Asherz

Thanks for the link share, I won't download it as I don't have time at the moment. But as for all this talk on piracy etc I think is getting silly. Yes legally this is wrong, but I can get it from my library and it'll cost me nothing, whats the difference from me just downloading it? and as already stated there is probably a small fraction of people on this forum who would want to fork out 99$ to buy this book.

Personally I think the author would much prefer us to read this, learn from it and pass on the knowledge, plus he/she is getting more advertising and coverage, and if no-one did download this then he gets nothing.

No money because no one will buy it, knowledge is not shared and there is no advertising or coverage for the author.

But I guess it is up to peoples subjective morals as to whether or not they wish to download this.

I'm glad people on here know what the author wants better than the author himself. You should all get in touch with him and tell him he doesn't actually want to sell his book, that he ACTUALLY just wants to give it away for free. I'm sure he'll be grateful to learn how he actually feels about his own book, since he's been wrong about it this whole time. ::)

And wtf is all all this "well, it's thousands, not millions" and "not even thousands, it's probably only hundreds of dollars!"? Money is money, stealing is stealing, and who are any of YOU to say whether that money matters to someone else? I'm glad you're well off enough that you can say "it's only like $300" or "it's only a few thousand dollars" and not care about it. Since $300 is no big deal, I'll give you my paypal address, and you can send me that $300 that is apparently completely worthless. Or better yet, SEND IT TO THE BOOK PUBLISHER! I love it, the money is so small that it obviously means nothing to him, but it's too much for you to ever pay for the book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, I was really hoping for more from the people on the board than this, because honestly, I'm almost as much devil's advocate as really mad here. Did anyone really try searching for this book, in any way? If you had, you would have found several things. First, Google got permission from the publisher to display a preview of the book in their Google Book Search service. Turns out, in this case, the "preview" is a very large portion of the book. So if you want to read this, there is a perfectly legal, legitimate way for you to read most all of the text of the book, through Google. Then of course, there is your own library, where you may very well be able to check the book out, or request that your library get you a copy from another library (libraries trade books back and forth constantly). But no, instead of looking for the perfectly legal and legitimate ways of reading the book, everyone took a cop out and said "well, this is easy, and it's only money, so I'm just gonna do the easy thing and ignore the right/wrong of the situation".

Oh, and here's the copyright statement from the book: http://books.google.com/books?printsec=copyright&dq=frank+trager+lasers&id=YOHJGz-9UNoC. Just in case there's any confusion: "This work may not be copied in whole or in part without the written permission of the publisher...except for brief excerpts in connection with reviews or scholarly analysis. Use in connection with any form of information storage and retrieval, electronic adaptation, computer software...is forbidden." is the relevant part of the copyright statement. They don't really leave it up to interpretation, I'd say they're pretty clear, and that is their right, after all.

But I'm still not going to change your minds, so whatever. At this point, it's just funny that you can pretty much read most of it perfectly legally but several are still choosing to download it illegally instead.

you said:
And I'm glad it makes you feel better that you surmise you're only costing people THOUSANDS of dollars, and not millions; whatever it takes to sleep at night, I guess.

My $300 comment was in response to that. Its all relative. I'm not saying that 300 is not a big deal, i'm saying that its definatly NOT the thousands of dollars you say.

^I never said anything about how much money it's costing them; someone else said it's likely thousands and not millions, you said it's likely $300 instead of thousands, and those are the guesses that have been put forward.

I really have no idea how much money it is, and I really don't care, and I never put forth any estimate. The fact is that it IS money, no matter how much money it is, and the amount really doesn't matter. Even if it's $5, it's still money, and it's not up to any of us to decide whether or not that amount is important to the author/publisher.

You guys can debate this back and forth for years LOL. None of you can presume what the author would think of it, either way. The thread has 2 options, buy, or download for free. So its a good thread. Its up to the individual what they want to do, and no argument is going to change that.

I personally think its hilarious that people mention the legality of it when there is so much other illegal things going on here. "Oh..I wont download that illegal file. How much is that 250mW laser again? Can I get a stolen Blu-Ray logo sticker with that?" LOL

Lighten up folks...and let the debates rest. If it bothers you then stop posting because you are just bumping the thread every time. ;D ;D ;D

jamilm9 said:
congratz on your 488 post

LOL Thanks. I don't see a blue laser in my future anytime to soon.  :-[

On a positive note my project parts are almost all here. Then I can finally contribute something to the forum other than hazing LOL.

::) You'll have to wait to see it. ::)